Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Maple 'Bacon' Granola (Vegan + Gluten-Free)



Oh yes, I did.  I dreamed up this tasty little granola treat that is beyond belief. I knew it would be magnificent so I munched up the rest of my Gingerbread Granola so I could cook up a new batch.  All I have to say is OMG!!

This was my first time making coconut bacon and it was as easy as it is delicious. 


And is there any flavour more fall-like than maple?  Perfect for the gorgeous autumn weather we're having...my very favorite (18 Celsius and sunny).

The girls, unfortunately, are not fans.  I don't blame them though, as a kid I hated anything that tasted remotely 'smokey'.  But the good news is, I get all this granola to myself...unless the husband dares to share.

Maple 'Bacon' Granola

1.5 cups coconut bacon (homemade like this or purchased)

1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (the darker the better!)
2 tbls coconut oil, melted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp sea salt

6 cups unsweetened, puffed brown rice or millet cereal
4 cups large flake oats (gluten-free, if necessary)
1 cup uncooked millet

Optional add-ins: 1/2 cup raisins, chopped dates or figs, dried apricots, etc.

Whisk together wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Pour dry ingredients into bowl and mix well until completely coated.  Spread onto 2 large baking sheets.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, switching position of pans and stirring half way through.  Let cool and then toss with coconut bacon and 1/2 cup of desired dried fruit.

Keep in air tight container for up to 3 months.

This recipe was brought to Urban Naturale's Plant-Based Pot-Luck Party Blog Hop and Vegetarian Mamma's Gluten-Free Friday.