Skip to main content

Quebec, Je T'aime


So I guess Quebec City is a pretty cool place after all.  He he!

The weekend could have started out better.  I was still feeling yucky and my flight was delayed 45 minutes after we boarded.  But I was the only one on the whole flight with an empty seat beside me :)  I wonder if it was because it was seat 13 and some people avoid sitting in a seat of that number?

After getting to my hotel, I discovered my room wasn't ready yet, which really got me steamed as I really wanted to drop my stuff and get to the conference.  Fortunately, there was a very nice staff person there who hurried things along and got me checked in.

The room was large, clean and lovely!  Check out this cool goldfish sink that was in the bathroom:


I headed over to the conference and joined the seminar in session.  Fabulous as always!  I love the CFAS conference.  Its so nice to connect with others working in the field of infertility.

I presented my poster presentation at the reception and hobnobbed with the industry folks.  It was from a bartender at this event that I experienced the only snootiness, which I had dreaded, due to being an Anglophone.  I ordered a Quebec beer and apparently it must be pronounced as if you are a cat horking up a hairball.  He grumpily corrected me both times I ordered (I just drank 2, I swear!).

That night all the infertility counsellors went out to dinner together.  There are such nice folks from around the country that do what I do.  Such a pleasure!  Unfortunately, I thought the food at the place we went was meh.  But it was very reasonably priced- and I had requested they choose a budget-friendly place- and the restaurant was very close to my hotel.

I was exhausted so I left a bit early and went back to the hotel.  I was asleep by 10:30pm and had the most amazing sleep.  I usually hate hotel beds, but this one was great, as was the pillow, the room was dark and quiet, and I had the a/c blasting to keep me comfortable.  I woke up utterly shocked at 9:30am on Saturday morning.  Pretty insane for someone usually up by 5am!  I felt a bit better but took the morning to walk around and explore, then headed back to the conference for the rest of the day.

In Quebec City, the small independent book store industry appears alive and well.  There are lots of them housed in cosy, little historic buildings.  Lots of tourist trap places too, however, selling the usual cheesy souvenirs.

Afterwards, I went back to my hotel and called Adam and the girls, and then headed out in the rain to a Greek restaurant, Le Mezze that got rave reviews online.  It deserves it!  Amazing service, fantastic food and great prices.  Cosy little spot too.  Since I was a party of one, even though it was totally booked (make reservations!),  I was able to sit at the bar.  Its too dark to really see, but here is my gorgeous plate of grilled calamari and ratatouille.  I also had a plate of grilled beets and beet greens on the side that is not in the picture.


Sunday morning I checked out the city's 7-day-a-week farmer's market and picked up some apples I've never seen before (Lobo), and maple syrup lollipops for the girls.  Then I explored another area of the city and took some scenic shots, before heading back to get my stuff from the hotel and grab a cab back to the airport.

Its kind of hard not to fall in love with such a beautiful, historical city.  Its so old, compared to Toronto.  It blew my mind that there are people who live in homes and apartments in structures that are like 200 years old!  In Toronto, the oldest homes most people live in are 90 years old or so.  And the cobblestone streets are so cool...but not good for high heels!









I also didn't realize just how English the city is.  I wanted to practice my French, but the minute the locals figure out you're English, they switch to English.  As my mom pointed out, its probably too painful for them to listen to us struggle through our French.  But I guess its a necessity for most of them to be fully bilingual given what a popular tourist destination it is.  There were tourists everywhere!

So there you have it, I eat my words, Quebec City is a pretty great place!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste