Skip to main content

Tapout XT: My New Fitness Obsession



Back in September, I radically changed my workouts, cutting down on cardio and upping my weights.  I have been feeling great ever since.  But after a few months of my new program I noticed something: I was loving doing my strength training, but even the reduced amount of time I was spending doing cardio, I was loathing.  I was rarely using the treadmill to avoid injury, but I was beginning to despise the Stairmaster.  Even with my favorite TV shows playing, I was counting down the minutes.  It suddenly hit me that I couldn't spend another minute on a cardio machine.  Keep in mind, by the way, that I'm limited to activities I can do in our workout room, since I do my workouts early in the morning when Adam has already left for work and I'm home with the kids.  That being said, even the idea of going for a run or bicycle ride outside wasn't appealing to me.

Fortunately, a few months earlier, I purchased the Tapout XT Fitness DVD set and it offered me the perfect solution to shake up my routine again.

I was inspired to buy it because I have loved the little martial arts I have tried (doing fitness reviews for BlogTO).  The Tapout XT set comes with 12 DVDs, and depending on the package you buy, various accessories.  This program KICKS ASS!  I can't tell you how much I love it.  I have done every workout and they all rock.  They are high intensity enough that I don't feel I need to do any extra cardio, but more importantly, they are so much fun! 

Here is what you get:

 
xt1
1. STRENGTH & FORCE UPPER
Get ready to bring the power as you sculpt lean muscle and upper body definition with extra focus on your chest, shoulders and triceps.

xt1
2. PLYO XT™
Burn fat and improve athletic performance with this sweat drenching explosive plyometric lower body workout.

xt
3. CROSS CORE COMBAT
Melt away fat MMA style as you punch and kick your way to a shredded core in this hard twisting crack of the skull core workout.
 
xt
4. COMPETITION CORE
Want TapouT® Abs? Do this work out! Carve your upper, middle, lower abs, and love handles at the same time.

xt
5. BUNS & GUNS XT™
Just what it says. Get that firm, toned and lifted butt along with beach-ready toned biceps, triceps and more.
 
xt
6. YOGA XT™
You will look forward to this stretch-based, yoga workout each week. But remember, this is TapouT® XT™, so don't expect any free passes here! You're gonna feel it!

xt
7. SPRAWL & BRAWL
Melt away fat and carve a lean, chiseled body as you train like a MMA fighter with this signature TapouT® XT™ workout.
 
xt
 
8. MUAY THAI
Based on the MMA combat technique developed in Thailand, this workout uses stand-up striking along with knock-out kicks that will reshape your entire body and burn fat XT™ style!

xt 
9. RIPPED CONDITIONING
No weights. No pull ups. Pure muscle. This extreme conditioning workout will get you that ripped up TapouT® XT™ body you want.
 
xt
10. ULTIMATE ABS XT™
Good bye spare tire. Hello six-pack! This 15 minute ab blitzing workout is the key to getting rock hard TapouT® Abs.

 xt
11. CARDIO XT™
When we say this workout is extreme, we mean it. High pac, intense and fun cardio workout that will make you earn it with sweat!
 
xt
12. LEGS & BACK
You will be turning heads after a few sessions of this leg burning, booty lifting, back sculpting workout.

 The biggest surprise to me, is how much I am enjoying the strength based workouts using the bands.  I used to poo poo this type of thing, feeling I could get a much more effective workout on my own lifting heavy weights, but I love doing these routines and now use them in combination with my heavy lifting.  Now, admittedly, the band that was included is not challenging enough for me for a lot of exercises, but Adam and I already had a whole bunch of heavier bands, so when this is the case, I just switch to using those.

I also love the plyo and Muai Thai ones, which make me feel powerful.  Punching and kicking is both cathartic and completely energizing, which is why I love martial arts.

The one I like least is the yoga one because its not really yoga.  I might go so far as to say it is yoga for people who don't like yoga.  But because I love yoga, that ones not really for me.

The two full length core DVDs are amazing, and the 15-minute Ultimate Abs workout it killer.

Mike Karpenko, the instructor and developer of the program, is goofy in a rather appealing way.  The participants in the DVDs are a mix of real MMA fighters and ordinary people who are success stories from the program's test group.

Unfortunately, my leg band has a small tear in it, but I think I can probably buy something similar at any fitness store.  It also has a tendency to stick to itself, but I found dusting it with cornstarch fixes that.  I didn't get a package that includes the gloves.  Instead, I've been using the gloves I got when I tried Krav Maga a few months ago, but they aren't really the appropriate kind.  I might go looking for something closer to the Tapout gloves.

I so love this program.  Honestly, I can't wait to wake up in the morning and do these workouts.  Even though there are tons of plank and push-up variations...and really, who likes those?...Karpenko provides so many creative and challenging variations, it's just a blast!

The other thing that's amazing about this program is it requires no bulky equipment or weights, and you need very little space.  When I was in New York, I brought them along.  When I saw my wee Manhattan hotel room, I didn't think it was enough space, but, in fact, it was, even without moving any furniture (which wasn't possible anyways), and the bands fit easily into a small suitcase.

I am so glad I found this program...When I turn 40 in September, look out, I'm going to be in fighting form!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste