Skip to main content

I did it!


What did I do?  I made it through a tough week.  Nothing serious...I am trying to count my blessings, but truthfully I feel a little beaten down.

Monday the school called to say Big A had a fever, so I ended up at home with her until Tuesday.    Monday night I came down with whatever she had.  Tuesday morning I took her to the drop-in at her doctor's office and arrived 30 minutes early only to find there was already a line up.  It was the craziest I've ever seen it, clearly there are currently some nasty bugs going around!  The good news is the quick strep test was negative, but I still filled her antibiotic script just in case because the long test takes days to get results back.  By Tuesday afternoon, I was feeling as crappy as she was. 

Tuesday Little A fell in the playground at school and got a massive shiner.  Wednesday morning Big A was well enough to go back to school, but Little A was nice enough to treat me to an epic meltdown as I tried to get everyone out the door.  She screamed and hollered the whole way and made quite a scene.  Again.  I can't imagine what people must have been thinking as Big A and I walked with Little A, sporting a black eye, followed us screaming. 

Thursday there was so much bickering between the girls as we were trying to get out the door that I didn't notice until I got home from dropping them off, that we'd left Little A's back pack and lunch at home.  Adam had the car and I was still feeling like crap.  Lucky for me, I was able to run across the street to our neighbours' who had not yet dropped off their boys at the daycare and ask them to bring it with them when they did.  Believe me, its not the first time I've asked them for such favours.  They are moving at the end of the summer.  That's going to suck.  Thursday at daycare, Little A somehow managed to injure her vagina (!?!).  No one's quite sure how she managed that, but now every time she pees it stings.

Oh, and how did the Consequence Jars system go?  Complete failure.  In fact, the girls started competing to be the first one to do something naughty so they could get a consequence.  Clearly I am raising sociopaths.  In any case, Adam admitted he doesn't like the system because consequences are not linked to the action, and many parenting experts feel they should be.  This strategy WAS an experts' idea, but this is just one example of how 'experts' conflicting advice can create confusion for us common folk.  So Adam and I are going to sit down and try to hammer out consistent/logical consequences for each type of action.  Unfortunately, since my children have no fear of me, respect for me or for my authority, I am not too optimistic that I will ever get a handle on things.  Frankly, just being a parent should qualify a person for medical marijuana use.

At least it's Friday.  I have a crazy work day seeing clients today, and tomorrow, but hopefully the rest of the weekend will be relatively relaxed, quiet time.  Ha!  Tomorrow I hope to get some of our Passover shopping done (lots of new recipes to come!), and Little A has a playdate.  Having just sent out the invitations for Little A's birthday in a few weeks, we also need to get started on the ones for Big A's party.

It's so ironic...there are some (many) days I don't think I will survive parenting, yet even if I knew what it would be like before I had children, I would still have them.   In fact, I would stop at nothing to get them.  Funny isn't it?  But as I always tell my infertility clients, we are animals, after all, the drive to reproduce is innate and biological.  If you want children, you want them, even if it lacks all reason. But that bond you feel with your children really is like nothing else.  Sometimes I am shocked, hurt and offended by how my children treat me.  Sometimes I really don't like them.  But I always love them and I would always, without question, die for them.    So here's to parenting, which, as my mom always said, is both the hardest and most rewarding job!

Have a happy, healthy weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste