Skip to main content

Chinese Style Not-Fried Not-Rice



Nice recipe name eh?

Heh!  As I've said many times, rice is a favorite food of mine.  And I love all kinds.  Brown rice has lots of nutrition, but it can also contain higher-than-ideal levels of, naturally occurring arsenic.  Since discovering that, I've cut down on my consumption.  I can easily hoover back several cups worth in one sitting.  And that's the problem with even whole grains: eat is easy to eat too much because they are so yummy and comforting, but, unfortunately, not as filling as protein.

I could never go low-carb, but I do try to get too much carbs relative to fats and proteins.  I don't track my macros at all, I just try not to get too much of a good thing.  Most carb substitutes - like spiralized veggies or spaghetti squash - don't work as a satisfying replacement for grains for me.  Even kelp noodles leave me wanting.  So far, only shirataki noodles satisfy my craving for carbs. 

But I have seen so many amazing recipes using cauliflower as a replacement for rice, that I was inspired to give this idea a try.  After all, I was sceptical about baking with plantains and I discovered they really DO work to make grain-free products.

A number of people on Facebook have been posting recipes from www.skinnytaste.com so I decided to check it out.  The first recipe I saw was a great one for fried rice using cauliflower.  It looked and sounded so delicious, I decided to make it this week...putting, of course, my own spin on it.

I have to say, I had my doubts, but honestly, I LOVE IT!  And it was extremely satisfying.  Not exactly like rice, but pretty close!   Now, admittedly the entire recipe was one lunch for me, but I according to the regular recipe, it's 4 servings.  Ha!  I should become a professional eater, I'd make a fortune.  I will definitely be making this again...and I'm thinking that, with a few tweaks, it could be an amazing Passover dish too!  To make it vegan, just swap out the eggs for some tofu.

Chinese Style Not-Fried Not-Rice (Adapted from this recipe)

1 medium cauliflower, rinsed
1 chunk ginger, peeled

2 egg whites + 1 large egg
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 small onion, diced 
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch green onions, diced
2 tbsp soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
2 tbls rice vinegar
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
Crushed red chili flakes, to taste (optional)

Wash and carefully dry cauliflower. Coarsely chop into florets, then place half of the cauliflower and the ginger in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
Whisk eggs in a small bowl and season with a little of the salt.

Heat a non-stick pan set over medium heat and spray with oil or cooking spray. Add the eggs and cook, turning a few times until set.

Pour oil into a large skillet over medium high heat and saute onions, peas and carrots and garlic about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.  Add the cauliflower "rice" along with rice vinegar, soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. Add the eggs and season to taste with salt, and chili, if you want a bit of heat.

I have contributed this recipe to this week's Gluten-Free Friday on Vegetarian Mamma.

Comments

  1. This looks great! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Can't wait to see what you link up this week! The party link up is open!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste