Skip to main content

Post-Vacation Reality Check


It's Little A's actual birthday today...I can't believe she is 5 already!  But we had a pretty awesome long weekend.

Normally I work Saturdays, which kind of sucks, but is a necessity for now.  This weekend, I didn't work at all, and it was glorious!  If you have kids, you know that holidays and long weekends are not always a vacation, but this 4-day weekend was actually pretty great.

Friday we took the girls to Artistic Way to paint mugs, and we had an amazing time.  Our pieces should be ready next week, and we are very excited to see the fruits of our labour.

Saturday was Little A's birthday and, honestly, it was the best ever!  I have no regrets or guilt about letting the party planners at this place do all the work because they did an amazing job and the kids had a fabulous time!  I highly recommend Amazon Indoor Playground in Etobicoke, if you live in the GTA and are looking for a venue.  I am thrilled that we already booked Big A's party there in a few weeks.  It was the most stress-free birthday we have ever hosted and no more expensive than anything else we have tried.  Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday morning we spent time with my family at my brother's house and in the afternoon, we took the girls to Downey's Farm for their Easter Egg Scramble.  It was gorgeous weather and lots of fun.

Yesterday, we spent some time at my brothers again in the early morning and then had a park playdate with friends.  Then Adam took the girls swimming at the JCC and we played with neighbours in the later afternoon.  It was a really fun weekend.

Unfortunately, it makes it that much harder to get back to real life.  I love my job, but I definitely don't love the usual stresses of getting the girls out the door to school in the morning and running them to their weekly activities, etc.  But it was worth it, I think it was a little break we all needed.

At least it's only a 4-day week!  Have a wonderful Tuesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste