Skip to main content

What I Ate Wednesday: My first WIAW


A lot of bloggers participate in this link up started by Peas and Crayons.  What I eat may not be all that thrilling to some - I am not into haute cuisine or really complicated raw vegan dishes that take a long time to make or anything else that extraordinary.  But I thought it would be a good idea for me to share an example of what I eat because a lot of people don't seem to understand what being a healthitarian means (that's the label I give myself).  I am into promoting my health and well being through proper nutrition.  But this does not mean I am vegetarian or vegan, gluten-free or grain-free.  I just try to eat mostly whole, real foods.

People are also flabbergasted to see just HOW MUCH I eat.  I have always had a healthy appetite...and seeing how my kids eat, that must be partly genetic.  Being super active helps, especially weight lifting.  Muscles demand fuel to grow!!  Nonetheless, I guess I eat a whole lot for such a tiny person.  Or so I'm told.

Here you have it.  A typical day of eats for me:

Breakfast is ALWAYS a massive (made with 1.5 cups of oats) bowl of oatmeal with either chia or flax seeds, egg whites, cinnamon, nutmeg and stevia.  The bowl I use for it is so big, Adam refers to it as the "flower pot".


Lately I've been into my homemade coffee frappes instead of hot coffee, and usually have about 3 of these a day.  Don't worry, there isn't much coffee in them as I put a ton of ice in.


Lunch was grilled chicken breasts, an entire roasted delicata squash and 3 zucchini roasted with olive oil, garlic and seasonings. 


Admittedly, I probably could have eaten less, but I was really hungry at lunch.

Snacks were cheese and 2 Honeycrisp apples the size of my head (oh be still my beating heart, these apples are to die for!).


Dinner was shiritake noodles with scallops and veggies in a creamy sesame miso sauce.


Mmm, I love what I eat!

Honestly, I really love healthy food.  Adam thinks I'm nuts (he claims he would live on chicken wings and chocolate if he could), but, my body craves freshness.  So many of my clients live on fast food and I can't imagine that.  I can't even stand the smell of fried and fast food.  It just doesn't seem like food to me.  So its not a struggle for me to avoid these things that others see as temptations.

Also notice that I am not a grazer.  That might work for some people, but eating little bits all day just leaves me edgy and hungry.  I like to eat 3 big meals plus a few small snacks.  If I don't feel FULL after a meal, I get grumpy and have difficulty concentrating.  It also helps me avoid the "See Food Diet" trap.  I find a lot of people (like my father!) are prone to eating whenever food is offered or available, either because they have not planned ahead and ended up going too long without eating, or because they are totally out of touch with their body's energy needs.  I make sure that I am either full from a big meal or prepared with healthy snacks so that I am not tempted by whatever crap is around...and the unfortunate reality is that in our society, there is always crap around.

Comments

  1. Happy first wiaw! I love that your husband refers to your oatmeal bowl as the "flower pot". Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am the same way as you! i eat incrediblly healthy and huge amounts of everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste