Skip to main content

Hulk Hogan Veggie Burgers


Did ya know that Hulk Hogan is still kicking (throwing people) around?  In fact, he's still wrestling!

I only know this because my sweet, brilliant husband loves wrestling.  Yes, he is an enigma.

Anyways, I call these Hulk Hogan Veggie Burgers because they are manly, meaty and huge.  No tree-hugging veggie burgers here.  But in all honesty, perhaps I should call them Trish Stratus burgers - after the Canadian former wrestler cum yoga guru, because they are also healthy and virtuous.

I am an omnivore, so I tend to like anything with the word 'burger' in it's name to be hearty and 'meaty', but at the same time I aside from wild salmon or chicken burgers, I generally stick with veggie burgers.  I don't think I've eaten a beef burger since 1995 (I think my residence roomies convinced me to go to McDonalds one morning after a particularly wild party, with the promise that it cured hangovers).

I tend to stick with a few tried and true brands that I buy, but I really wanted to make some myself.   Unfortunately most of the veggie burger recipes that I have seen don't suit my preferences for one reason or another (don't want ones that are 'curry' flavour or made with blackbeans, or are too high in fat, or have too much binder/flour/starch, etc.) and I was scared to come up with my own.  I wanted one that is delicious, of course, as well as low-fat and high-protein.  Just as I was devising a recipe, Susan Voisin of Fat Free Vegan Kitchen posted one that was very close to what I was dreaming up.  Unlike Susan's however, this one is 100% grain-free.  The one thing you do need to make these babies is patience.  It takes time to carmelize the onions and takes time to cook the burgers so that both sides get a crust and will hold together.  But be patient my friends, these are worth it!

Hulk Hogan Veggie Burgers (Inspired by these)

1 onion, thinly sliced
About 8oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
3-4 cloves garlic
2 tbls sherry vinegar
2 tsp vegan worcestirechire sauce
A few drops liquid smoke (optional)
1 can brown lentils, drained and rinsed (or 1.5 cups cooked lentils)
2 tbls tomato paste
1 tsp konjac root flour (4 575mg capsules glucommannan/konjac root)* or 2 tbls cornstarch/arrowroot starch
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

Place onions in a non-stick pan or skillet and cook over medium heat, with garlic, vinegar, worcestershire sauce until soft and starting to carmelize (about 15-20 minutes).  Season to taste.  Add mushrooms and continue cooking until they have released most of their liquid and then liquid has been absorbed.  Let cool a bit.  Puree lentils tomato paste and konjac root flour/starch in food processor.  Add onion/mushroom mixture and puree until there are no large chunks of mushroom or onion.  Form into 4 huge patties (or 8 smaller ones, if you wish!).  Place in non-stick skillet or fry pan, sprayed with non-stick spray, over medium heat. 



Cook on one side until crust forms and then flip and continue cooking on the other side until there is a crust and burgers hold together.  Serve on a whole grain bun and garnish as desired. 

Freeze extras with wax paper in between.  Reheat in fry pan or skillet before serving.

*Konjac is the root veggie used to make shiritake noodles.  If you cannot find canisters of the flour (usually available at low-carb shops), then just empty out the content of 4 capsules (available at most health food stores).

This recipe has been entered into this week's Gluten-Free Fridays on Vegetarian Mamma,  Diet, Dessert & Dogs' Wellness Weekend, and the recipe link-up on Urban Naturale.

Comments

  1. Yum! I would love it if you visited my new Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and linked up this and any other idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica,
    I am such a big fan of healthy, grain and soy free veggie burger recipes. I am always on the lookout for new ones to try so I am delighted you shared this delicious grain free lentil-based veggie burger with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop! I appreciate it! And it's just in time for July 4th holiday cookouts! I have not used Konjac before so I was pleased to learn about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste