Skip to main content

Back to School Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Nut-free, Sugar-free, Gluten-free)



Happy New School Year!

Today is a big day in our house: Big A starts grade 1!!  The kid is so incredibly confident, she hasn't shown the least bit of nervousness or anxiety.  In fact, when I dropped her off this morning, she eagerly lined up the minute her new teacher called the kids in, and didn't even kiss me goodbye.  She's so different from how I was...I would have been desperately clinging to my parents' legs.

I always love this time of year as it really feels like a new beginning and the start of all sorts of exciting things.  It also usually means the end of the scorching summer temps is near, although I have bad memories of it being close to 30C last Thanksgiving...

We had a lovely weekend to mark the end of summer holidays.  Friday I took the girls to the Ex.  We met up with my friend Jenny an her kids and went on rides, played games and won stuffed bears, ate too much sugar, checked out the farm animals and completely tired ourselves out.  Saturday we had a big BBQ at my in-laws to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday.  Sunday the girls had a playdate with friends, and yesterday we went to 2 parks, took them to a local cafe for lunch, and then Adam took Big A bicycling while Little A and I went to the movies.

Adam also had a few hours of work to do yesterday morning, so to keep the girls out of his hair for a while, I got them to bake these cookies with me.  I figured they can make a nice addition to the lunches I must now pack for Big A.  Everyone loved them - even Adam who generally doesn't like oatmeal raisin cookies - and I feel good that they are so healthy.

1/2 cup light butter, softened
2 whole eggs
1 cup xylitol or erythritol (or sweetener of choice)
2 tbls stevia baking blend (optional, if you want them sweeter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups oat flour (gluten-free, if necessary)
2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free, if necessary)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup raisins

Cream together butter, eggs, sweetener, and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy.  Whisk together dry ingredients in a smaller bowl and then add to the wet ingredients.  Mix until dough comes together.  Stir in raisins.  Form dough into balls (note: it's pretty sticky and will feel like it might not hold together...but it will!).  Place on non-stick baking sheet and bake at 350F for 14 minutes.  Let cool and then remove from pan.  Keep in an air tight container for a few days or freeze.  Makes about 30 cookies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste