Do you have exciting plans for tonight?
Mine are to be in bed by 9pm.
I don't think Adam and I have gone out on New Year's Eve since we had children. I don't think we will again until they both reliably sleep past 7am every day.
I hate the idea of being hungover around my kids, and besides, tomorrow is our annual New Year's Day party and there is lots to do.
This year on the menu:
* Mulled apple cider
* Wine and cocktails
* Juice and soda
* Cucumber maki (sans hidden cauliflower)
* Thai salad rolls with peanut dipping sauce
* Cobbs fresh whole grain baguette with vegetarian antipasto
* Sea salt potato chips and popcorn, tamari almonds
* Chocolate toffee treats (for dummies), fruit and nut bark, chocolate dipped, sea salt figs, and spiced candied pecans (all homemade by me!).
* Fresh berries, tiny seedless mandarin oranges, carrot sticks, red grapes
Here is the recipe for the peanut sauce. It's perfect for dipping salad rolls, or chicken, tofu or shrimp, or thinning slightly and using as a sauce for a stir fry or noodles. YUM!
Thai Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup peanut butter
2-3 cloves garlic
1 chunk fresh ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
Crushed red chili flakes, to taste (optional)
Salt, to taste (may need more if you use natural peanut butter)
Optional: garnish with sliced green onions, chopped fresh cilantro, and/or crushed peanuts
Throw all ingredients in food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add additional vinegar or water to thin out to desired consistency.