Skip to main content

2011

As we count down to a new year, I always like to look back and see how far I've come since this time last year.

All-in-all, I am feeling really good about where I am now.

My goals had been to address some minor health problems (frequent eye infections, allergies, hamstring pain), and I managed to do this.

Daily wear contacts have cleared up my eye problem, and allowed me to put the issue of having laser surgery to rest (apparently not good for someone with dry eyes).

After a KILLER sinus headache a few weeks ago I finally followed up with my allergist (something I was supposed to do back in the spring!), and am now taking Aerius and Omnaris nasal spray, along with my daily saline sinus wash. I hate being on a cocktail of drugs, but I'll do ANYTHING to avoid those sinus headaches!!

And my stubborn hamstring tendonitis is 90% better! I have even been able to resume my walking/running treadmill workouts and feel fine as long as I keep the incline at 4% or below. The only time I really get any discomfort is on Mondays, the day after I do my hardcore weights workout at the JCC. It's a bit of a catch-22, because I have to continue to try and strengthen the area, but it inevitably causes inflammation. Fortunately, if I ice the area I feel fine by Tuesday. I am so happy about my recovery, I CAN FINALLY SIT WITHOUT PAIN!!!

Getting my career on track was another big goal and I think I've accomplished this too. Yesterday my Major Case Presentation was approved (it's pass/fail), so I am officially done my Masters of Counselling Psychology! Yay for me!! I am continuing to explore some different options for my future practice and will update once this has all been sorted out.

I am also thrilled with how much things have improved in my relationship with Big A. Whether it's the new parenting strategies I have been working on or developmental changes, I can't say for sure, but we get along so much better now!

Big A is much less sullen and whiney than before. Overall, she is just a happier kid. She has been waking up around 7-7:30am in a GOOD mood for the past few months, instead of before 6am in a rotten mood. She is much more cooperative and helpful than she used to be.

We were still struggling with her cry-baby stuff (claiming EVERY little bump and jostle was a life threatening injury and wailing) until recently. I decided to employ the strategy from "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and How to Listen So Kids Will Talk" of getting kids to come up with their own solutions to problems. One day when she was sobbing over a nothing boo boo, I told her that this behaviour was really problematic and asked if she could think of something that would help her be able to NOT react this way. She shook her head and sulked so I assumed the strategy had failed. A few days later, however, she said, "Mommy, I know how I can learn not to cry so much, when I get hurt, I'll take deep breathes and calm myself down!". And that's now what she does. Most of the time.

The relationship between Big A and Little A has also grown and flourished. Sure, they still fight sometimes, but they also play together better and better and clearly adore each other. Big A is a wonderful, protective older sister, and Little A worships the ground she walks on.

Unfortunately, we are still in the midst of the Terrible 2s with Little A. You know, the completely irrational tantrum stage? She has to get HER way ALL the time! No matter what the weather she never wants to wear a coat, and if I insist, she shrieks until it comes off. She insisted on listening to the same Dora CD in the car EVERYDAY, OVER-AND-OVER for months, until Adam, Big A and I all wanted to blow our brains out. We finally declared a moratorium on this CD. Unfortunately, now unless we put on Sesame Street songs, she becomes hysterical. I could go on, but it's really all the usual 2-year old nonsense. And she still has NO interest in potty-training.

Tantrums aside, we are all doing really well and I feel blessed. We are truly lucky people and it was a good year.

For 2012 my goals are:

* Potty-train Little A (so she isn't starting kindergarten in diapers!)
* Getting my counselling practice going
* Try to continue doing yoga at least 1x week, regardless of how busy I get
* Continue to think positively about my career, even if I hit some speed bumps

What are your goals for 2012?

Comments

  1. Congrats on finishing your degree! That's huge, and impressive that you've done it with two young kids. Big kudos to you!

    On little A - Timmy is still refusing to wear long sleeves, or a coat most of the time. I let him wear short sleeves, and figure if he's cold he'll ask for a coat. Which he does. (will only wear his fall jacket at the moment). He just doesn't seem to feel the cold like the rest of us do, I figure he's not going to die or get hurt from being out in 30-40 degrees in short sleeves, so I decided not to make a battle out of it. What about an ipod or CD player for her for Xmas so she can listen to whatever she wants? And 2 is a LONG way from kindergarten :) i'm hoping we can wean ant from sucking his fingers before K, but not so sure we're going to have any luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nico! I agree, it doesn't seem worth battling over the jacket most of the time, but I get some very judgemental comments from other adults about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste