Skip to main content

Headaches and Digit Disasters

After last Wednesday's sinus headache from hell, I made an appointment with my doctor. Taking handfuls of Advil and Tylenol is a bad idea AND it does nothing to lessen the pain. Time to get help. She took one look in my nose and said she could see a lot of swelling in my nasal passages. She gave me more steroid nasal spray, which I'd run out of, and a prescription for Naproxen. I woke up today feeling great but now I feel another one coming on so it may be time to see if these babies work. I don't like the fact that I'm a walking pharmacy right now (Claritin, Nasonex, Naproxen, etc.) but I'll do anything to get relief.

On Saturday, I stupidly slammed the car door on my pinky finger. The bad news is, it was my left hand, and I'm left handed, the worse news is that I think it might be broken. As stubborn as I am though, I haven't gotten it looked at. No way I'm waiting hours at the ER and what will they do anyways, splint it? But after icing it last night for a while, it feels better today and I have more range of motion in the knuckle joint...so maybe it isn't broken? I am going to have my physiotherapist look at it today and tell me what she thinks. Perhaps I'll call my doctor again this afternoon. Stupid finger!

Big A had another huge tantrum on Thursday night. Adam was still away for work so it was just me and the girls again that evening. It all started on the way home from picking her up at school when I gave her dinner options she didn't like. She screamed all the way home and then continued for an hour. At one point she grabbed my face and pinched me HARD. After mostly ignoring her screaming up to that moment, I lost it and picked her up, carried her upstairs and threw her in her bedroom, telling her she better not come out until I got her. I think she realized she crossed the line at that point and she started to calm down. Eventually I got her to apologize. One of the punishments I doled out for this behaviour was no treats whatsoever for the whole weekend. This actually turned out to be a good idea because she was extremely upset, and the parenting consultants emphasized that punishments need to mean something to her. While I've threatened this punishment many times in the past, we've never fully carried it out because we seem to always end up in circumstances where treats get offered to her and we cave in. This time, as per the parenting consultants, I was determined to follow-through. So I called my mother-in-law, who was having the girls for dinner Friday night. I warned her that under no circumstances was Big A allowed any dessert (not one cookie or piece of cake). Although this led to a huge meltdown Friday evening, Big A got no dessert. Nor did she get a single treat Saturday or Sunday, even when she and I made chocolate cereal squares. I wouldn't even let her steal a single marshmellow. Luckily, by then she had accepted her fate. The weekends are usually when our nutrition plans fall by the wayside anyhow (she always goes to her grandmother's or great-grandmother's for Friday dinner and gets treats that never see the light of day in this house), so I was thrilled to see her forced to forgo the junk food for a few days.

Little A, our picky little eater, has actually grown into quite a good eater. In fact, she will eat a lot of grownup food that Big A won't go near. This weekend she surprised us by gobbling down some of the spicy sesame noodles I made (and they're quite spicy!) and she shared a Perrier with me (Big A hates "bubble" water). At the grocery store yesterday, Big A insisted I buy them some cucumber rolls from the sushi counter. Then she proceded to tell me she doesn't like seaweed and just wanted to eat the cucumber and a bit of the rice. Thankfully, Little A was more than happy to devour the entire rolls, as well as the leftover scraps from Big A. She also ate the whole pile of accompanying pickled ginger in one bite and would have drank the packet of soy sauce if I'd opened it for her (I confiscated the large ball of wasabi because I thought the heat bomb from that, while short-lived, might be a bit much). Perhaps if there is 3-1 in favour of my cooking, Big A will eventually come around to eating the spicy, ethnic dishes I usually make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste