Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Never Too Thin or Too Warm

For the past few winters I have been wearing the same coat.  I like how it looks well enough, but it really isn't sufficiently warm.  I always ended up layering on sweaters and vests underneath and even then would end up cold on really bitter days.  After all, weather permitting, I often ride my bike to work and when it is really freezing and/or windy, it's not pleasant. 

So I finally decided I should invest in a good coat for winter.  But I also wanted it to look good.  Frankly, I am tired of huge, puffy coats  that make my look like a weeble. I did some research and finally decided on a North Face coat, which I purchased from Sporting Life online.  Supposedly water and windproof, but also pretty streamlined, I loved the way it looked.

When the small, light box arrived, I was dismayed.  I unpacked the tightly folded up jacket and thought I had made a huge mistake: There was no way such a thin coat could be warm enough for winter!  But I decided to give it a try anyways.  Well knock me down and pick me up again!  It's far warmer than I ever imagined such a light, thin coat could be!  I love it.  I still suspect an extra layer might be needed on really cold days, but the fact that it's so wind and waterproof makes a huge difference. 

The bad news is, lately I've been having bad reactions to all my winter hats.  I am allergic to wool and sometimes I am okay with it near my skin for short periods of time, but right now I get itchy after only a few seconds.  Good excuse to buy a new hat I suppose.

I think the next thing I need to do is go to MEC and get some super duper mittens for super duper cold days when I am on my bike.  Then I'll be all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment