Skip to main content

Manic Monday

Do you have a favorite day of the week? Do you have one that you detest?

Like most people, Saturday is my favorite day. Adam is home until at least 6:45am, before leaving for the gym, as opposed to 6:15am during the week. So I occasionally get help getting Big A dressed and breakfasted, if she is up early (Little A rarely wakes up before 7am).

Saturday also means I don't have to rush the kids out to get Big A to school. I have time for a second cup of coffee, if I want one, and to leisurely eat my breakfast while reading the weekend newspapers, if the girls allow me to.

Sundays are also fun. Adam stays with the girls in the morning while I head off for my one day at the gym. I get to do my intense weights work out for the week, see all my friends and acquaintances at the JCC, and teach my spinning class. After Little A's nap, we usually do family activities (Yesterday we took the girls skating for the first time! It was a big hit with Big A, not so much with Little A).

Although Fridays still have the morning rush, they also hold the anticipation of the weekend and Adam often takes the girls to his parents' or grandparents' house for dinner to give me some extra time for school work or other just-for-me activities.

Tuesdays, for me, are the worst. While I still feel the weekend glow on Monday, by Tuesday it's worn off, and yet there are still 3 more days until the weekend. Tuesday is definitely my least favorite day of the week.

For Big A - like most people, Mondays are hardest. The transition from weekend to weekday is obviously not an easy one for her. This morning was no exception.

My Valentine's Day gift from Big A was a massive tantrum.

Over nothing. As usual.

But I am feeling pretty good because:

1. I didn't yell
2. I didn't use any 4-letter words
3. I didn't call her any names
4. I ignored her while she was acting up
5. She listened to my threat of throwing her in her sock feet, along with her boots and coat onto the front porch where she would be responsible for getting herself dressed in the cold, and got herself dressed before I had to follow through
6. I came up with an appropriate punishment (took away the Valentine's gift I gave her and will not return it until the weekend)

Yay for small victories on a February Monday morning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste