Skip to main content

The "No Lunch" Lunch Box Solution


For the past couple years I've been dreading the moment Big A starts Grade 1, and I have to pack her a lunch.  We've found that the daycares have a way of getting our kids to eat, or at least try, all sorts of things that they otherwise wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.  I was very concerned that Big A's nutrition was going to seriously deteriorate.

Truthfully, it has been challenging, but not as awful as I'd imagined, once I learned a trick or two.

First of all, I discovered that less is more.  Being a Jewish mother and all, I default towards packing too much food (just as when I cook, I always make enough for a small country - or so Adam says).  But hey, god forbid my child should go hungry!  However, I found that when I did this, not only was Big A less likely to finish all the food, she was less likely to eat anything.  Perhaps too much food looks intimidating? 

I got very concerned several times when her lunch box came home with only a few bites missing.  How was she making it through her day?  She had gym!  She played in the school yard!  She is growing!!  It was also very annoying to have to throw out so much food, particularly foods that I know she likes: no-nut butter and honey sandwiches, spaghetti, vegetarian sushi.  It all ended up in the garbage with nary a nibble taken out.

Adam reminded me that Big A usually eats more for breakfast than most kids eat in a day, so she really isn't going to starve.  He's right and not exaggerating.  For example, this past Wednesday she had a big bowl of oatmeal, banana (an entire banana) and cinnamon, followed by 2 pieces of whole wheat bread with honey, and something else (I can't remember).  Then when I dropped the girls off at daycare, she had a plate of pancakes they were serving. 

So I stopped worrying she was going to starve and that's when I finally found something that works.  I don't pack her a lunch at all!  Before you call the authorities on me, let me explain: when I pack her a bunch of food which all appear to be 'snacks', rather than a 'meal'.  Now each day I pack her 1 fruit, 1 veggie, 1 'other snack' and a 'treat'.  Other snacks include: cheese and crackers, hard boiled eggs, a mini-pita pizza, rice cakes and yogurt, etc.  I only give her a small amount of each.  The treats might be: a homemade muffin/cookie/brownie (whole grain, sugar-free, stuffed with veggies sometimes...), homemade popcorn, or dried fruit.  The final thing I learned is that if you call something a 'treat', it is most likely going to get eaten.  Big A always asks what her treat is for the day  If I haven't packed one of our usual treats, than I can declare 'yogurt' the treat, and it will for sure get eaten.

Although Big A was a bit surprised at first, she came home and said, "Mommy you didn't pack me a lunch today!", she comes home with much less uneaten food, AND I actually spend much less time prepping food for her lunches because it's all so easy to throw together.  Win-win!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste