Skip to main content

Stress Management

I am definitely not myself right now. Between my grandma being unwell, my stupid leg/back pain, the crappy weather we have been having and my two practicum placements officially starting next week, I'm stressed.

I am completely sick and tired of sitting on a yoga block and playing detective with my physiotherapist to figure out what is causing my pain. I have 2 MRIs booked for June, both in the middle of the night. Yes, in Canada we get these tests for free, but we have to have them in the middle of the night. They also won't do a back and pelvic MRI at the same time, so I have to be up all night 2 nights in a row! This alone is stressing me out, seeing as I have a history of insomnia and I have to be very careful about maintaining my circadian rhythms. I am also worried about driving home from the hospital in the middle of the night seeing as I am falling asleep before 10pm most nights.

This has been a seriously miserable winter and spring. I have ALWAYS hated Toronto summers - I detest the extreme heat and humidity, but winters I used to be able to handle. The past 4 years, however, I have become increasingly disturbed by the winters too. Nine out of 12 months of the year, the weather here is either too hot or too cold for me and I'm sick of it. It is really wearing me down. We won't be moving anytime soon, however, I have a long-term plan. When the girls start thinking about university, I am going to send away for brochures from every college and university in Northern California, Washington State, Oregon and British Columbia and hope they both end up on the more moderate West Coast, so we can retire there. Just 16 more years of hell here!

So all this to say, the stress and strain is getting to me. Sunday night I was plagued with more vivid, intense dreams and I bit my tongue again. Like what is up with that? Blood on my pillow and a tongue so sore and swollen I am speaking with a lisp and it hurts to eat or talk.

Then, yesterday morning I developed terrible abdominal pain. I thought maybe I was getting a bladder infection. I cancelled my physio appt but then seriously like 5 minutes later, the pain started to go away. Adam says it must have been stress.

At last week's sedar, I dealt with my stress by drinking too much red wine and eating too many brownies (those Passover brownies are seriously amazing!). This was not a wise thing to do. The sugar and alcohol caused me to have a fitfull sleep and my digestive system was out of whack for most of the next day.

Today I went and taught a boot camp class. I had avoided the instructor's plea for help until her 3rd request. I figured, I enjoyed it so much the last time, why not? Besides, this particular gym is way closer to home and much less of a schlep than most of the others where I get requests to teach.

This proved to be a wise decision. The class was a blast, and the participants loved it. Afterwards, they crowded around and, again, wanted to know where and when I usually teach. Sorry folks, still not taking on anymore classes full-time!

Then I came home and had a loooooooooooong hot shower (yeah, yeah I know, not environmentally friendly, blah, I needed it!). The adrenaline rush and hot water have made me feel much better. Even the pouring rain isn't getting me down.

And there is some good news! I have had 5 straight days with much less pain. Seems that the latest rehab exercises my physiotherapist gave me are helping. We have also finally identified some definite triggers, which are not what you might expect. Most cardio is fine, although I am still avoiding my intense walking workouts, however, certain yoga moves (anything that requires me to balance all my weight on my left leg) and weight exercises (hamstring curls, certain types of lunges, upright rows, etc.) are likely to set it off.

So my advice for the day is, if you are feeling down or stressed or anxious, listen to the health experts and get some exercise, have a bubble bath or a massage, take a time-out, or laugh with friends, but avoid the alcohol and sugar!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste