Skip to main content

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3....


Oy, has the last month been stressful!

At my annual physical this year, my doctor handed me a requisition for my first mammogram.

Because my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 52, the recommendation is that I start them 10 years earlier, which is this year.

I have been nervously anticipating this for the last 20 years!

What a rollercoaster this has been, and I now understand why experts often disagree about screening timing, frequency, etc. It's pretty murky in terms of what the best course of action is (I just read an article in the paper summarizing a large study that found that mammograms do not cut death rate for aggressive/late stage breast cancers, but do significantly increase the rate of false positives.

Anyways, here is how things went down:

December 16 - Mammogram at  Princess Margaret Cancer Hospital. Wasn't painful at all for me, though lots of women find they are.

The next day hospital called to say they wanted me back for follow up ultrasound, scheduled for December 30th. Awesome, got to wonder about this all through our Florida trip!

December 30 - There is definitely a lump identified in left breast, but they reassured me there was 98% chance its benign. Told they are extremely common (called breast fibroadenoma). Due to family history though, said I could opt for biopsy. I opted for it.

January 12 - Biopsy. Different doctor, but she also said 98% chance benign. Told I would get results in a week.

January 16 - Receive call from Princess Margaret Hospital to go to Mount Sinai Hospital on the 19th to meet with a surgeon and get the results. Practically passed out...why do I have to go to a different hospital to meet with a surgeon? Oblivious woman on the phone doesn't seem to notice my distress, so I asked if it is standard to be sent to a surgeon. It is. Phew!

January 19th - Miserable experience. Put directly into examination room and told to strip from waist down. What? Aren't I just getting results? Nurse shrugs and tells me to take it all off. Sit waiting for over an hour and start psyching myself out...sweat dripping back of dignity-stripping hospital gown, I am sweating, dizzy, nauseous and shaking. Wondering if I am in the unlucky 2%. Finally (bless her!) nurse practitioner I met with at Princess Margaret comes in, explains doctor is still delayed but she will give me results. Benign. Oh thank goodness!

Surgeon finally comes and says they will have me back in 6 months to make sure nothing has changed. Okay. Also, suggests getting tested for BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. Great, worrying gets to continue! I decide, since I have 2  daughters, I will get tested. Now waiting for that appointment.

So tons of stress, a number of medical tests and a biopsy (which, by the way, is a little more invasive then I thought...I expected like a flu shot type deal, but, no they are grabbing tissue out of you, so much greater chance of infection!) I can see how a lot of people would say, perhaps I shouldn't have started mammograms so soon. I worry that I will have to go through something similar every time I have one. Will they want to biopsy this fibroadenoma again? Could I get more? Believe it or not, I haven't Googled any of this at all. In fact, I have done zero Googling about anything related to this whole experience, which, I think helped keep my nerves in check, until my little melt down at the end.

I will do whatever the doctors recommend going forward as I am definitely someone who wants to know information, and, frankly, would rather go through unnecessary stress and testing than have something fall through the cracks, but I know not everyone feels the same.

Most women, who don't have any particular breast cancer risk factors, can start testing at 50, but my recommendation is don't dismiss anything that feels off. If you feel pain in your breast, a lump, see unusual changes, discharge, etc. Seek medical attention, and don't let anyone dismiss your concerns just because you are young or don't have risk factors.

Also:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste