Skip to main content

Fulfilled!: Book Review


Have you ever wondered why, as North Americans, we have such high rates of stress-related illnesses, anxiety and depression, despite being among the wealthiest nations in the world?

The reality is, though we may have food to eat, clothes on our backs, shelter and a peaceful society, privileges many folks around the world do not have, a lot of us feel extremely unfulfilled.

What about you, are you fulfilled? If not, do you know why? Maybe its because you were pushed into a career by your parents that you never wanted.  Or maybe you married someone who doesn't make you happy because you were together a long time and everyone expected you to.  Or perhaps you decided to pursue a career to make a lot of money because you thought material wealth is the key to happiness, and yet you realize you were wrong.  All of us end up in places we didn't expect, and often aren't ideal for us, but what can you do about it? Often we feel stuck and assume there is no way out, unfortunately, this often leads to greater discontent.

Recently, I was sent Fulfilled! a book by William A. Schiemann, PhD., CEO of the Metrus Group, a U.S. based consulting agency.

The intent of the book is to be a guide for those feeling unfulfilled with their life - not just in the area of work, but in personal relationships, physical health, etc., too.

The book provides case studies of everyday individuals, like you and I, as well as various celebrities and public figures, to show how it is possible to feel satisfied with your life, in all spheres, regardless of your age, and where you are right now.

According to Schiemann, there are 3 critical ingredients necessary for fulfillment (ACE):

Aligned - alignment with your interests, aptitudes and values;

Capable - having the capabilities to be successful; and

Engaged - being engaged/energized by what you do.

Now, this stuff isn't really new to me. As a sociology undergrad, I learned a lot about this in my sociology of work and organizations courses.  It was an area that always interested me.  What makes us enjoy certain activities? What determines if we feel fulfilled by what we do?

Ironically, after an MA in sociology, I, accidently found myself in a career I hated.  Fortunately, I eventually switched paths and now I love my work, and am very grateful for that!

So, how do you tell how much alignment, capability and engagement you have? Don't worry, the book provides all sorts of quizzes and exercises to help you determine this!

I did some of them, even though I know I love my work, but they aren't all applicable for someone self-employed.  Most of them kind of assume you are employed by someone else.

Though the book isn't that long (219 pages), it packs in a lot of information and useful tools.  It doesn't just help you determine if you are fulfilled or not, but it basically provides a blueprint for achieving fulfillment if you aren't yet there.  Like anything else you want to achieve, having a plan and setting specific goals are critical.  Having a way to measure your progress is essential.

The final chapter provides some basic tenets of living a fulfilling life, which include:

1. Keep the end in mind
2. Nurture your body
3. Build a social network
4. Seek things you are passionate about
5. Take reasonable risks
6. Never stop learning
7. Stick to your values and spirituality
8. Resilience - find the silver lining
9. Give and get
10. Check in with yourself regularly

So do I recommend this book? Absolutely! Its well written and Schiemann clearly knows his stuff.  In fact, I am going to give it to a friend of mine who is currently trying to find a new direction for her career.

Disclosure: I was sent this book to review but all opinions on this blog are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste