Skip to main content

Truvia Brown Sugar Product Review & Apple Spice Cake Recipe

Truvia Brown Sugar Blend - 1 lb - Low Carb Canada

Am I an extremist about nutrition? Well extremism is all relative!

I eat all food groups, I don't follow any type of diet and I eat a wide array of things.  The only things I really try my best to exclude are added sugars and refined flours/grains, as well as trans fats.  Frankly these are habits WE SHOULD ALL BE DOING.  The only reason this may seem extreme to some people is that the BAD (basic American diet) is so full of this crap.

Now perhaps I am extreme because I have eliminated this stuff from my diet - well, mostly anyways - rather than 'cut down' but I'll bet most people who have 'cut back' on this stuff still eat too much. 

I don't cook or bake with sugar at all anymore.  I exclusively use stevia, xylitol, erythritol and coconut sugar.  I use limited amounts of even maple syrup, molasses and honey because they still affect your blood sugar the same way white sugar does.  Brown sugar is no better than white as its just white with a bit of molasses added.

Because of my anti-sugar stance, I was reluctant to try Truvia's new Brown Sugar Blend.  Why use any sugar?  Coconut sugar is much lower on the glycemic index, is much less processed, is a great substitute, and has a fantastic caramel flavour.  But I decided to entertain the interests of the moderates out there by giving it a shot.

Now I love stevia, but I know not everyone else feels the same.  Some brands are terrible, while others are amazing.  Nevertheless, there are some who are still sensitive to the slightly bitter aftertaste even in small quantities.  For this reason it is often blended with erythritol or regular sugar.  In this case, regular brown sugar (sugar and molasses) is combined with it as well as erythritol.

It looks and tastes exactly like brown sugar but has 75% less sugar since you use less based on its sweetness relative to regular brown sugar.   It has that soft, moist consistency whereas coconut sugar is rather granular.  You can always grind coconut sugar in a high powered blender to make it finer, but I've never tried this.  If you absolutely need to consistency of brown sugar this will do the job.

Anyways, since we were hosting a neighbourhood party I figured this was a perfect opportunity to try it out.  A lot of folks are not accustomed to healthy foods, particularly desserts, and there were going to be a lot of kids, so I wanted to make something with wide appeal.

I settled on an apple cake, inventing the recipe as I went along, as I tend to do.  It was awesome.  I say was because it disappeared very quickly.  Little A actually insisted on having a few pieces for breakfast the day after the party.  Healthier than most cakes, I agreed and we were all happy.

Now personally, I prefer to avoid sugar altogether as much as possible, but in cases like this, Truvia Brown Sugar Blend is a good option and may be good for you folks out there trying to cut down on sugar but not a big fan of pure stevia or other alternatives.

Disclosure: I was sent a complimentary bag of the product to try but all opinions on this blog are my own.

Apple Spice Cake

1.5 cups unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
2 extra large eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups whole grain flour (I used sprouted organic whole wheat, but spelt is great too)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp Apple pie spice blend (or pumpkin spice blend)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

4 small apples, cored and diced
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Stir together apples with lemon juice, Truvia and cinnamon and set aside.

Whisk together wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir dry ingredients together and add to wet.  Stir just until combined.  Batter will be thick.  Put 2/3 of batter into greased bundt tin.  Add apples next, and then spread remaining cake batter evenly over top of apple layer.  Bake at 350F for about 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cover with foil half way through if top browns too quickly.  Remove from over and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Let cool.  Keep in airtight container for 3 days or freeze.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste