Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tex Mex Bean Salad


This simple bean salad is quick and easy to make and super yummy.  I don't like bean salads in an oily vinaigrette, for some reason, which is why I rarely would get it from a grocery store or restaurant.  But you already know I'm not a big oil fan.  I would much rather get my healthy fats from whole foods that add a lot more flavour, like nuts or avocado.  In this case, you could definitely add diced avocado, but I didn't since this was for a dinner at my in-laws and most of Adam's family hates avocado.  I also kept it mild because they don't like spicy food, but you could definitely add some kick with a jalapeno pepper, if you want.  Honestly, I think beans are one of the most underrated healthy foods. This is also an inexpensive dish too, and a generous amount so its perfect for a pot-luck or party.

Tex Mex Bean Salad

2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 tbsp. chili powder, mild
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt

Toss ingredients together in large serving bowl.  Keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.

This was shared with Urban Naturale's Plant-Based Pot-Luck Party and Vegetarian Mamma's Gluten-Free Friday.