Skip to main content

The Wellness Kitchen: Book Review

Adobe Photoshop PDF

The Wellness Kitchen cookbook is written by registered dietician, Paulette Lambert, from Extreme Makeover Weight-Loss Edition. Now that fact does not impress me, given how I feel about reality television, but the book is not at all what I expected.  Given that contestants lose massive amounts of weight in a short period of time, I expected the book to prescribe a diet to consist of kale and vitamins.  But it isn't that at all.

In fact, Lambert explains, it is not a diet book at all, but, rather a guide for healthy living and cooking.  She does, however, also provide detailed menu plans for those looking to lose weight.

Lambert's general philosophy is that health begins with cooking from scratch.  I can't agree more.  Cooking at home with real, whole foods is critical for maintaining a healthy weight.  What my clients struggling with obesity all share is an overreliance on restaurant meals, takeout and processed, convenience foods.

Her goal with this book is to simplify healthy cooking for those who think it is too complicated or time consuming.  She starts with listing what you need to stock your pantry.  She lists many commercial products (i.e. All Bran Buds, Kavli Crispbread, Boca Veggie Burgers, etc.) that she approves of.  Just keep in mind that many of them are not available in Canada, particularly fat-free half and half, which she uses in many of the recipes.

Before the recipes, there is a section on general nutrition guidelines that explains the importance of various macronutrients and food groups, as well as a section that explains the link between diet and chronic illnesses like hypertension, diabetes, and cancer.

Another section is devoted to weight loss where she addresses some of the most common reasons people struggle to lose weight (portion distortion, unbalanced diet, biological binging, emotional overeating, etc.) and provides solutions for each.  There is also a 21-day meal plan for those who desire to lose weight.

Part 2 of the book is the recipes broken into chapters by category:

1. Breakfast
2. Appetizers
3. Salads & Dressings
4. Soups and Breads
5. Main Dishes (Beef, Fish/seafood, Poultry & Tofu)
6. Vegetables
7. Pastas, Grains & Pizza
8. Sweets

The recipes are lovely, although I would say they are not as quick and easy as I would say is necessary for people reluctant to cook.  Believe me, I have clients unwilling to even cut up a piece of fruit!!!

They are accompanied by lovely photos, and nutrition tips.  What is probably the most useful thing about the book, is that many dishes start with a basic recipe and then provide numerous variations.  This is essential for individuals who are not comfortable altering recipes on their own to suit their tastes or available ingredients.

My one criticism is that, like many cookbooks, a lot of refined flour is used.  It makes little sense given she discusses the importance of sticking with whole grains.  I would say replace the white flour with whole spelt, another whole grain flour, or whole grain gluten-free blend in these recipes.  Honestly, if there is one thing I wish I could change about our food landscape in North America, it is the ubiquitousness of white flour and sugar, which are basically the same nutritionally. If they were no longer available at all (that's my fantasy), than even the most die-hard sugar/carb addicts would have no choice but to eat whole grains.  If you are thinking right now that you could not live without your ___________ (croissants, donuts, baguettes, etc.), well yes you could. Suck it up buttercup!!

Anyways, now that I'm done my rant I will say that its a nice book and if you are open to learning how to cook great, healthy recipes, than check it out.  If you have absolutely no experience cooking and/or want really, really simple and fast recipes, this one might not be ideal for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste