I know I have written about brain health before, but its worth reporting on the most updated research in this area.
Lifestyle affects not only our weight and risk of heart disease, Type II diabetes and many cancers, but also our risk of dementia and Alzheimer's Disease.
Wondering what you need to do to minimize your risk?
Here are some tips based on the most recent research findings, summarized in the Nutrition Action Health Letter for January/February 2014:
- Keep your blood pressure in a healthy range;
- Keep your blood sugars/insulin low (stick to foods that are low on the Glycemic Index);
- Perform aerobic exercise regularly;
- Train your brain (read, play, learn new skills, socialize, etc.);
- Drink caffeinated coffee;
- Get adequate Vitamin D;
- Get adequate sleep;
- Eat more fish full of omega-3 fats and berries.