Skip to main content

Peanut Butter & Jam Muffins (Gluten-Free)


Good grief, it's already January 27th, day 27 of my Gratitude Challenge!  It also happens to be another Monday of a week that is supposed to be stupidly cold and yucky.  Perfect time to practice gratitude and not wallow in self-pity.  Today I am grateful that my kids have no serious allergies...yet (allergies can develop at any point in time).

I was quite concerned my kids would have bad allergies because Adam has some (Marlin, hay, etc.) and lots of people in my family have them (shellfish, morphine and penicillin among other things).  I, luckily, am just allergic to wool and have a ton of skin sensitivities, but nothing that yields a really serious reaction or anything.  While pregnant with Big A, I didn't touch a peanut, since at that point that was the recommendation.  While pregnant with Little A, I ate lots of peanuts because at that point the experts decided early exposure was better.  Now I think its been determined that it really doesn't matter.  In any case, neither of my kids show signs of peanut or other food allergies thus far.

I can't imagine how scary it would be to have a kid with a severe allergy to something like nuts.  So with that, I give you a recipe using peanut butter!

I recently made a massive batch of raspberry chia jam, based on Angela's recipe.  Adam brought home to huge bags full of the berries a few months ago, and not knowing what to do with them at the time, I froze them. 

Little A and I used some of them to make raspberry tarts:

But there was lots left over and after the girls almost made themselves sick eating it straight from a spoon, Big A decided I should bake some muffins for her boyfriend and his family.  I was happy to oblige.

One of his mom's is my good friend who recently got the ovarian cancer diagnosis.  As you can imagine, she hasn't had much of an appetite, so I thought some yummy muffins might be useful to have around.

They are gluten-free because...well to be honest, after I started making them, I realized I was completely out of flour.  Ha!  But I had a huge thing of coconut flour so I figured I'd use that.

You can use other nut or seed butters if you don't want to use peanut, and other flavours of jam, if raspberries aren't your favorite.  But this combo is pretty awesome.

I made mini-muffins, but you can make bigger ones or a loaf if you prefer, you'll just have to adjust the cooking time.

Peanut Butter and Jam Muffins (Gluten-Free)

1 cup of egg whites
1 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut/seed butter)
1/2 cup milk, dairy or non-dairy (plain or unsweetened vanilla)
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

About 1 cup of no-sugar jam (I omitted the maple syrup from Angela's recipe and just added a dropper full of plain stevia liquid).

Whisk together wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Add dry ingredients and continue whisking until it thickens.  Spoon batter into greased mini muffin cups or mini muffin tins with parchment muffin liners.  Top each with a dollop of jam.  Bake at 375F for 16 minutes.  Let cool completely before removing from muffin tins.  Keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze.  Makes 32 mini muffins.

I have submitted this recipe to this week's Gluten-Free Friday on Vegetarian Mamma.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste