Skip to main content

Beach Bums


Image Source

Our Canada Day trip to Woodbine Beach was a smashing success.  The girls had the time of their lives and it was a joy to see them so happy.  Big A asked if we could come back every warm day.  Ha, I wish!  She also took a massive face plant in the sand, getting sand covering her entire wet body including her face and in her mouth, but was in such a state of bliss that she laughed with the rest of us (her usual reaction to such a thing would have been tears and claims that she'd broken every bone in her body).

I also had fun, with the best part for me being that it wasn't too hot (25C) and a bit overcast.  Admittedly, it did mean the water was chilly, but that didn't stop the girls!  I happily got to stay covered up in a sweatshirt and yoga pants over my bathing suit, so with my hat, sunglasses and copious amounts of sunblock I didn't worry about exposure. 

Honestly, it's been many years (11 actually) since I've been to a beach, the last time being when Adam and I went to St. Lucia Le Sport for our honeymoon.  I forgot just how divine it is to walk barefoot through sand and sit and watch the waves.  I can see why people pay a gazillion dollars to live in the area!  I had fantasies while we were there of one day living within walking distance and waking up at dawn to do yoga on the sand right by the water or go for a run on the boardwalk.  Won't be happening any time soon, but maybe one day...

If you are in the GTA or visit the Toronto area in the warmer months, I highly recommend a visit.  It's not hard to get to, and it can be - if you plan well - a very inexpensive excursion.

Here are a few tips for making your Woodbine Beach visit a success:

1. Pee in the lake or wear diapers - Okay I'm kidding.  Do they even make swim diapers for adults? But seriously, the line ups for the women's bathroom is nuts.  Little A and I ended up sneaking into the men's bathroom because both of us were about to pee our pants. 

2. Bring shade - On a really blazing hot day you can probably burn real quick since there is no shade near the water.  Bring an umbrella or something.  Coating yourself with sunblock and wearing a hat and sun glasses goes without saying.  Come on, don't get yourself some skin cancer!

3. Take public transport or park far away - We made the mistake of bringing the car.  You can take the TTC to the beach fairly easily.  There were no parking spots near the beach at all so Adam had to park north near Queen St about a 20 minute walk away.  It was free street parking (beach parking will cost you $20), but far enough that Little A, who was exhausted at the end of our visit, whined the whole way back.  You could also ride your bike there, and, in fact, if Adam and I ever try to go back just the 2 of us, maybe we'll do that!

4. Bring snacks or meals - There is tons of food for sale, but most of it is the usual crap (pizza, hot dogs, ice cream, etc.).  There was some yummy looking chicken souvlaki, however, the prices of everything were rather inflated.

5. If you are bringing kids, bring sand toys - Big A insisted she didn't want to bring any, but in the end, she was the one who spent most of the time using the pail and shovel Little A brought once she discovered all the fun and interesting things to do with them.

Big A and I took a long walk down the beach together and collected some stones we thought were pretty.



We will definitely be going back again!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste