Skip to main content

Swerve Towards Sugar-Free Frosting

So how was your long weekend?  Ours was lovely, thanks.

Saturday we cycled to Christie Pits for some playground fun and popsicles. 

Sunday we took the girls to an arts festival at the Distillery District.

Monday we had a park playdate in the morning and then we took the girls to Vaughan Mills in the afternoon.  Adam took them bowling while I cruised the mall.

Now it's back to reality, but at least it's a 4-day week.  And at least I've now found a way to make sugar-free frosting.  Yes, sugar-free frosting.

Who doesn't love frosting?  My kids, like most kids, usually gobble it down and then leave the cake.

Personally, I like really sweet, sugary frosting, like fondant.  If it's more like sweetened whipped cream, that I don't want any part of it, that makes me gag.  I don't like marshmellow or boiling icings either.  Just the straight up powdered sugar kind.

I try to avoid sugar as much as possible, so I don't eat frosting very often these days.  So I was very excited to discover Swerve carries a powdered sugar alternative and even more excited when I found that it's now carried by Low Carb Canada!  It's made from erythritol, so it doesn't affect blood sugar, and it's calorie free.  And for those of you who avoid anything 'artificial', it's a 'natural' alternative sweetener.

Confectioners Sugar Substitute

For my first experiment with it, I combined a 1/2 cup with a 365g container of quark cheese (quark is like cream cheese, but it's much higher in protein and it's fat- and salt-free), a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and a squirt of vanilla stevia.  Then I iced a gingerbread cake I'd made.  It was fabulous!  Next time, however, because if I am going to eat frosting, I want it to be SWEET, I might use more Swerve, but I still thought it was pretty awesome.  I made the cake as a "Happy Mother's Day to Me" treat last weekend ;)

 
Of course no amount of frosting can sugar-coat the situation in Oklahoma today.  My thoughts are with everyone there affected by the tornado. 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste