Skip to main content

New York 2013 Part IV

Adam was originally booked on a later flight home than I was so he could get more work done, if needed on Friday, but he managed to get all his work done at the archives on Thursday.  So he decided to accompany me to the airport to see if he could get on my earlier flight.  He also suggested we start the day with a run in Central Park.  This turned out to be a fabulous idea!

We left the hotel at 7am and made our way to the park.  Eventually, we found ourselves on the Bridal Path, which gave us breath taking vistas of the reservoir, framed by trees full of pink blossoms.  I think the best part was that neither of us seemed to be allergic to those trees, which were dropping pink petals all over the place!

After our run, we went back to the hotel, showered, ate breakfast, and packed up.  We took a cab to La Guardia, and discovered not only could Adam get a seat on my plane, but we could BOTH get one on the flight leaving an hour before mine!  Yes please!!  Of course, this flight was delayed, but we still ended up leaving about 5 minutes earlier than my original flight.

Believe it or not, my 'fitness' caused a ruckus both on the flight to and from New York.  At Pearson, I was told to go through the full body scanner.  Great, love all that radiation!  It beeped and I was ordered to stop for a pat down.  The image on the screen was all lit up around my mid section.  I thought this meant I had some sort of metal IN me and was stressed.  Did I swallow a coin and not notice?  Did someone implant a microchip in my stomach or another internal organ?  Like WTF?

On the way home, the same thing happened at La Guardia, only this time when I made the scanner beep, the guard made me do it a second time (great, even more radiation!) and then he asked me if I workout.  Um, yeah, so?  Apparently my ab muscles are so strong and defined that they were making it look like I had something hidden and strapped to my middle (like I might be trying to smuggle something).  How freakin' weird is that?  Frankly, after all the eating we did, I'm surprised it didn't look I had a spare tire sitting around my waist, or an inflated inner tube.  Anyways...

On the plane, I managed to catch 2/3 of a movie called Parental Guidance.

Parental Guidance film poster.jpg

I had never heard of it, which is usually a bad sign, but with a cast that includes Billy Crystal, Bette Midler and Marisa Tomei, I thought it couldn't be that bad.  It was pretty silly, but there were a few scenes (particularly a bathroom scene with Billy Crystal) that had me laughing so loud Adam was elbowing me to be more quiet.  It's too bad I didn't see the end, but I can't complain about a short flight, I still hate flying!

The girls had a great time with my in-laws and I doubt they missed us much.  Oh well, after all the single parenting I've done recently, I really needed a little getaway, and this trip was really amazing.

If you have never been to New York, GO GO GO!!! It really is the most amazing city in the world (okay, I'll admit there are many hundreds of cities I've never seen before...).

Happy 7th birthday to Big A today!  I can't believe I have a 7-year-old.  The big party for her and Little A is tomorrow.  Oy!  If I am still standing, I'll fill you in on the details next week.

Comments

  1. haha that is SO FUNNY about the scanner! I guess those are the abs that I should aspire to? lol.

    Happy birthday to big A!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste