Skip to main content

Dangerously Delicious Banana Bread


Happy Monday!  How was your weekend?  Ours was good, thanks.  Big A had a big night out Friday.  She went to a kids movie night at a local community centre with one of her friends and it didn't end until 9:30pm.  She got home at 9:45pm (I was already in bed reading), and didn't get to sleep until 10pm.  This was all very exciting for her.  Despite sleeping to 7am Saturday, she was bagged, and after a busy day and another late night (we went to friends' for dinner), she passed out in the car on the way home. 

Little A had an awesome day on Saturday.  She was the happy, delightful Little A that I feel like we haven't seen much of lately.  Sunday we had a Purim party which was lots of fun. 

The only downer this past weekend was that on my way to teach my spinning class Sunday morning, I lost my cell phone.  Since it is the primary way clients reach me, I was in a big panic.  I went out looking for it, but in the snow, it was hopeless.  I hoped a good samaritan would find it and figure out a way to contact me, but it didn't happen.  So I went out and bought a new one and had my number transferred.  Then this morning a guy Facebooked me and said he found it and would like to get it back to me!  Although it's kind of too late to matter since I already bought a new phone and transferred the number, it warms my heart that this man DID perform a random act of kindness.  Much better outcome than when I left my wallet in Pearson Airport in 2007 when Adam and I were going with Little A to New York.  I was so hoping the same thing would happen, however, it did not.  But there ARE good people in this world and that makes me very happy!

Okay, on to the topic of banana bread...

I know I've probably got half a dozen variations on banana bread or muffins floating around this blog, but this one really is the bomb.  I think it's the coconut sugar that is the key.  It's hard to believe it is actually a healthier alternative to refined sugar because the stuff tastes just heavenly.

I've named this recipe 'dangerously delicious' because it is crazy addictive.  I made muffins out of it for my brother's family a few months ago and my sister-in-law called a few days later for the recipe because she said her kids were eating the muffins like it was crack.  It's basically another variation of the recipe I adapted from my mother-in-law.  It's healthier than most, but still a bit of a treat with all the coconut sugar (when I bake for our household I mostly use stevia or other non-nutritive sweeteners).

I made the big banana bread loaf with chocolate chips for the girls' daycare staff.  Despite the Toronto District School Board teachers strike on December 18th, they bent over backwards to keep the daycare open all day long to accomodate parents.  We were all so grateful!  To thank them, I whipped this up.

This past weekend, I made the recipe into little mini muffins for our Purim party, and once again, they were a huge hit.


Dangerously Delicious Banana Bread

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup plain, low-fat yogurt (non-dairy, if desired)
2 eggs (or flax or chia eggs)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour (or spelt or kamut)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
Optional add-ins: 1 cup chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts, dried cranberries or cherries, raisins, fresh or frozen berries, etc.

Whisk together wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Add dry to wet and stir, just until mixed.  Add chocolate chips or other add-ins and fold into batter.  Scrape into greased loaf pan.  Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.  Turn heat down to 350F and cover top with foil.  Bake another 40 or so minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool and remove from pan.  Freezes well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste