Skip to main content

Single Parents are Superheros

I don't know how single parents survive, I really don't. Each time Adam tells me he has to go away for work, I am panic stricken. When he went away last October it was somewhat of a disaster. I was so stressed I didn't sleep the whole time he was away and hiring our neighbours' nanny to help me out with the girls in the evenings backfired. Big A seemed resentful of the intrusion and was incredibly rude to her.

So far this time around, things have been better. I am trying to project the image of feeling in control to Big A because I think in the past part of the problem was she picked up on my anxiety. She's been behaving pretty well and hopefully this will continue until Adam gets back in a few days. I'm also making an effort to try and do some fun things, since I think she associates daddy with fun and me with routine (i.e. getting out the door in the morning, getting to daycare, getting home from daycare, etc.). Yesterday after I picked her up we went to a health food store where they have small shopping carts and I let her push it around and fill it up with what we needed while I pushed Little A in the stroller. She was thrilled and even more thrilled to be able to empty the cart on the check out for me. Today after I pick her up from daycare we are going to visit a new park and play for a bit.

I don't usually cook much when I'm alone because, (a) it's no fun to cook for yourself, (b) it's hard to find time when I'm trying to take care of both girls. Nevertheless, I managed to invent a new recipe last night that was quick, easy and delicious. I made it with Gardein meatless beef tips, but you can make it with real beef tips, steak strips or ordinary tofu. Gardein makes some of the tastiest veggie meat products I've tried. The only problem is they are quite pricey. They're products are available in Canada and the U.S. http://www.gardein.com/

Japaneses (Meatless) Beef and Veggie Wraps

1 pack Gardein beef tips (or 1/2 lb beef tips or steak strips, or 300g firm tofu)
500g (approx.) broccoli slaw
1 lb shitake mushrooms (or button mushrooms), sliced
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced

Sauce

1/4 cup tahini
1 tbls miso
2 tbls cooking sherry
2 tbls soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 knob fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp Japanese pepper and sesame seed blend (optional)
Chili flakes, to taste (optional)

4-10 inch whole wheat wraps

For sauce, mix all ingredients together and stir until smooth.

Throw beef tips and mushrooms into frying pan over medium high heat with broccoli slaw and stir until veggies are softened. Pour in sauce and stir. Add in green onions and turn down heat to medium low. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Fill wraps with mixture and fold up. Makes at least 4 huge wraps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste