Skip to main content

Happy Easter!

P1: I am happy to report I got 100% on my first quiz, and 95% on my first paper in my Theories of Personality course. I feel like the material is coming pretty naturally to me simply because I find it so interesting. I am getting more and more excited about my new career path. I really feel like this is the direction I was meant to be going in all along. That being said, I no longer wallow in regret that I spent so many years on the "wrong" path. I think if I had gone into counselling right after my BA, as I had originally planned, it would have been a disaster simply because I didn't have the maturity or life experience required. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

P2: We have had another great weekend with the girls. Big A has been good, even though my parents were visiting - which sometimes stimulates some acting up due to a larger audience being present, and Little A has been good too, aside from some grumpiness yesterday which we finally figured out right before putting her down for the night, was due to her cutting a new tooth. She also gorged on sweet potato fries that we got from the BBQ restaurant we ordered from last night. Don't know why she likes the fried ones so much more than the healthier baked ones I make her...

We were able to coerce Big A into naps and all sorts of things this weekend with the promise of a piece of my father's birthday cake (we had an early birthday celebration for him last night). In the end, she only ate a few bites of the cake, but boy did we get our money's worth with the leverage it provided us!!

Because the weather has been so warm and wonderful, we've been to the park a few times this weekend and had so much fun. Now that Little A is almost a year old, I finally feel like I'm getting my sanity back. Last summer Little A was too small for the park and I had to be nursing her every few hours so weekend afternoons often involved Big A and Adam going to the park while I stayed home with Little A, and I would feel lonely and depressed. Now we can do so many more things all together as a family and it's great. I feel truly blessed to have such a beautiful family (and to have made it through the first year alive with 2 kids!!!).

F1: I have eaten way more red meat than is wise this past week. I love it but try not to eat it too often. At this point, I am now sick of meat and potatoes so Adam can eat his Kosher for Passover supper by himself tonight while I eat the banana blueberry pancakes I'm making. Of course any pancakes or waffles or French toast I make are merely a convenient vehicle for maple syrup or honey. I LOVE them!!!!! They had a story on the news last week about how they've discovered that maple syrup has as many antioxidents as some fruits and veggies. Yeah, another reason to eat more! Of course, they said you should stick to 2 tbls per serving. That made me laugh: I probably use a half cup at least. I love honey too, and sometimes put honey on pancakes instead of syrup, especially when I make my raspberry cornmeal pancakes, which are really good with honey. However, one of my favorite treats is just a peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread. I could eat these types of treats for dinner more often, except Adam is not a big fan...he prefers regular (savoury) dinner food. Sometimes it's a real drag that Adam doesn't share my affinity for "breakfast for dinner" and doesn't eat pork or seafood or milk and meat together and doesn't like cheese or eggs or tuna...I always tell him that I need to find someone to have a "culinary affair" with because it's not the same to cook elaborate dinners (like lobster, for example) just for myself. Perhaps one day Big and/or Little A will share these types of meals with me. I guess that partly depends on how observant they decide to be with their Judaism and how picky they are with their food (hopefully less picky than they are now!!).

F2: Exercise of the week: Body weight tricep dips

This is a great exercise you can do at home with no equipment. Sit on a stair or large chair that won't tip from the weight of your body (or exercise bench) and place both your hands flat on whatever you are sitting on with your fingers hanging off the edge facing your heels. Feet are parallel and flat on the floor. The further away your feet are from your hands, the harder this exercise will be, so your knees can be bent or straight, depending on how strong your arms are. Slide your butt of and start bending your arms, keeping your elbows pointing backwards. Don't let the movement come from your torso and make sure you bend your arms low in order to target your triceps. Do at least 2 sets of 15 reps. If this isn't clear, check out the illustration here:

http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/training-own-body-weight/triceps-dips.asp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste