Skip to main content

Vegan Kamut Pizza Crust


Wow, its been a while since I have posted a recipe! But now that our new kitchen is done, I'm back!

I decided to break in the new kitchen with a new from-scratch pizza crust. What's different about this one, is it's yeast-based, something I haven't made in ages. Truthfully, there are lots of whole grain pizza doughs available around Toronto, so normally I wouldn't bother, but I have to say, it was much easier than I expected. I think I will have to do this more often!

What makes this recipe a little different is that it uses aquafaba (chickpea liquid) as the binding agent, and is oil-free and vegan.

Why, when I am not vegan, or even vegetarian, do I make so many plant-based recipes? Well, first, plant-based foods are super healthy and I subscribe to Michael Pollan's philosophy: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Second, it brings out my inner scientist. I love experimenting with recipes and seeing how non-traditional ingredients (that are healthier) can sub for the more conventional ones. Like, it blows my mind that you can create baked goods that can pass as containing flour, but are actually made from beans or plantains! And aquafaba is amazing. The liquid from canned chickpeas can be a substitute for eggs! How cool is that?

Anyways, the crust turned out great, however, I wasn't wild about the toppings I made for this particular pizza. I tossed the chickpeas I had from the can I used to get the aquafaba, with red onion, and garlic and sauteed it all with some buffalo sauce, and threw on some sundried tomatoes. Unfortunately, I didn't love chickpeas on pizza. I think next time I will go with my favorite, more traditional toppings of spinach, kalamata olives and sundried tomatoes.

This recipe makes a lot of dough. You can halve it, but I say, if you are going to the trouble of making the dough from scratch, make lots! You can always freeze half for later use. I used it all to make 2 extra large pizzas, but I think next time I would make the crust thinner, and maybe make 3 slightly smaller pizzas.

No matter what though, its pizza right? Is there such a thing as bad pizza?

Vegan Kamut Pizza Crust

6 cups whole grain kamut flour (or other flour)
2 tsp coconut sugar
2 packets instant rise yeast
1 tsp salt
2 cups warm water
Liquid from 14oz can of chickpeas

Mix together dry ingredients in a very large bowl and then add hot water and aquafaba. If dough is too dry, add more hot water, a little at a time, until dough can be formed into a ball. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to double in size, about 40 minutes.

Lay parchment paper over baking sheet and take desired amount of dough (depending on size and thickness of crust you want), and flour the top surface. Use hands to press out dough into desired shape. Use fork to poke bottom of crust and then bake at 450F for 5-8 minutes.  Top with desired ingredients and return to oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!

Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen.

Though its Friday, I am kinda dreading this weekend. Up until this point in our renos, we had a member of the crew putting together all our new furniture, but they basically finished up this week, so all the smaller items that have been delivered in the past few days, we are going to attempt to assemble ourselves. I predict a lot of blood, sweat and tears. And swearing. Worst case scenario, we'll have to ask them to come back and help. Neither Adam nor I have much patience for this stuff. Frankly, I despise the fact that every single item of furniture these days has to be put together by the consumer. Grr!

Anyways, have a happy, healthy weekend and make pizza!

I have shared this recipe with Urban Naturale's Plant-based Pot Luck Party.

Comments

  1. Cool recipe (congrats on being featured at the Plant-based Pot Luck) and you did make it sound easy. I'll pin it for reference. I am vegan and am always on the lookout for new recipes. Please see my latest blog, Smoky Vegan Split-pea Soup and enjoy whatever you're doing today. Nancy Andres

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste