Skip to main content

If it Does Not Grow Say No: Book Review

 
I don't regale you with all the challenges I continue to have trying to feed the kids, because, really, things haven't changed much.  Both girls still have appetites like sumo wrestlers (especially Little A), so quantity isn't an issue, but there are areas where each of them could be doing a lot better. 

For Little A, its with her vegetable eating.  She'll eat cucumbers, grape tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, sweet peppers and corn.  That's about it. And only a tiny bit at any given meal, at best.  Fortunately, she is pretty good in other respects.  She loves fruit, eggs, and cheese, in particular, so it could be worse.

Then there's Big A. This kid makes me want to tear my hair out over food (not to mention almost everything else!).  She just wants sugar and carbs.  The only savoury foods she likes are pizza and hotdogs (sigh!). Ironically, however, she is better than Little A with veggies, even enjoying kale salad here and there and loving kale chips.  Left to her own devices, however, she would live on sweetened breakfast cereal, baked goods, candy, chocolate, and bread smothered in PB and honey.  She also loves salty carbs like crackers and chips too.  I have to negotiate with her at each meal to get any protein in - which is why, you may have noticed, I throw protein powder into most of my cookie and muffin recipes.  She can also go from loving a particular food or dish one day to despising it the next.  If asked to taste a new food, she will often just touch it to the front of her tongue or eat a microscopic crumb before deciding she hates it. Grrr!

Thank goodness they are happy to eat all my baked goods, which I always try to pack full of as much nutrition as possible.

Anything I can do to get the girls eating better I am up for, so I was happy to experiment with If It Does Not Grow, Say No, an interactive book on healthy eating for kids.

Its an interactive book that educates kids about healthy eating, particularly about plant-based foods, that tries to encourage them to try new things.

Big A took one look at it and said she was too old for it, which was fine, because then at least the girls weren't going to fight over it.  Little A and I sat down together with it and had fun.  I was a bit too ambitious, however, attempting to complete the whole thing at once as she started getting fidgety before we finished.

Little A loved all the opportunities the book has to think about your favorite types of foods. She likes defining the things she likes best.  She also liked the activities like drawing pictures, making lists and the word search.  Her knowledge already regarding nutrition was actually pretty good (I'll take credit for that!), though I don't think in her case this book will do much to encourage her veggie eating, but that's just her personality.

I think this book will work best in a school setting where positive peer pressure often gets kids to try new things and opens their minds to foods they might not otherwise ever accept at home. We have certainly found this to be the case with the girls' hot lunch program at school.  They eat all sorts of things that they won't touch at home.  I think this would be a great tool for teachers, so I may just recommend it to the girls' school for just such a use.

In any case, educating kids about nutrition is just as important as educating them about all other aspects of their health, and in my opinion, it is never too early to start.

Disclosure: I was sent this book to review, but all opinions on this blog are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste