Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Omron Electrotherapy Pain Relief Devices: Product Review


I adore working out and always have, but I will admit, I am not a huge fan of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).  You know, the pain you feel within 48 hours of a workout due to the tears you've created in your muscle fibres?  Its different from injury pain, its just your muscles repairing themselves and getting stronger.  But it sucks!

I started having a much more difficult time recovering from my workouts after age 35, and DOMS became a regular thing.  Taking L-Glutamine helps a whole lot but who doesn't love a good message?  Unfortunately, even though Adam's health plan has a bit of coverage for massage, its not much, so I can't afford to be having massages regularly.

So when Omron asked if I'd test out their Pain Relief Pro and Max Power devices for home use, I was, of course, game.

Essentially it sends electrical pulses to massage the muscles through skin pads you stick to the affected area.  I have had similar devices used on me by physiotherapists. The Pain Relief Pro has 8 different message modes and 10 power levels.  The Max Power has 9 modes and 15 levels of intensity.  Don't underestimate its strength, I like a hard massage, but I found level 6 to be enough power!

I did a 15 minute session for my biceps, and another 15 minute session for my hamstrings after one of my arm/leg workouts.  It was awesome.  I will totally be using one of these babies regularly as I have never found anti-inflammatories or the topical muscle creams to be of much use for DOMS.  Being the good wife that I am, I will let my sweet husband use the other one.  Note that the pads are reusable for about 150 uses, and then you can purchase replacements.

I have also been using it in the evenings on my bad left hip/hamstring.  By that time of day when Adam and I sit down to watch a show together, it is generally achy and sitting is often uncomfortable.  I little session with the massager and I feel much better.

The big test, however, was yesterday.  By Monday afternoons I am usually pretty darn sore from my Sunday morning weight workout, but using the Omron on my glutes and biceps preventing me from getting as sore as usual.  Sometimes Tuesday morning I am even more sore, but today I have no soreness at all.  I have to tell you, I am already addicted to this thing!

Even if you don't get DOMS but have muscle strain from your job or an injury, this is a great tool to aid recovery.

Thank you so much to Omron for the products, we will be enjoying them a lot!!

Disclosure: We were sent the units free-of-charge, but all opinions on this blog are my own.