Skip to main content

I Don't Have a Bucket List

funny pics pictures pic picture image photo images photos lol humor

I just realized recently that I DON'T HAVE A BUCKET LIST.  Should I? Am I the only one who doesn't?

Last year I had a goal of doing the Princess Margaret Walk for Women's Cancers in honour of my friend J, who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  I did it and me and my team raised over $7,000!  I am proud of that and glad I did it as a way to end my last year before turning 40.

But now what?  Do I need to be making a list of things I feel I must do in my lifetime?  Is this something we should all do so we don't squander away the precious time we have on this earth before we leave it?  After all, research shows that people who take risks are happier and lead more fulfilled lives.  Truthfully, I have never been a risk taker, although others tell me a mid-life career transition was pretty risky!

I do want to go to Israel, but honestly even with that, I don't feel like it will be a tragedy if it doesn't happen.  I love exploring cities and, theoretically, I would love to visit places like Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Bangkok in Asia, and Prague, Rome and Athens in Europe.  Australia would be cool, as would some cities in South America.  Remote/rural places don't interest me that much.  The problem is my hatred of flying, my motion sickness and my huge aversion of extreme heat, bugs, etc.  A lot of tropical places, even in the most urban of environments might be too much for me.  Right now I am reading the autobiography of Amanda Lindhout and her accounts of travelling to various places and the challenges and discomforts she faced make me never want to do any high-risk travel! And I'm not even talking about her famous kidnapping, but just the backpacking she did before she got into being a journalist.

Skydiving maybe?  Well now that you can simulate the experience, I think I'd rather do that, and have actually been thinking about it.  But if I never do it, I won't be broken up.

Do I want to run a marathon, a 1/2 even?  Nope.  An Ironman? Nope.

I briefly thought of doing one of those 'figure' competitions...actually my sister-in-law was telling me I should.  While I pretty much train like one of those women already, there is no way I could follow the necessary restrictive diets.  I'd lose my mind!  Also, those competitions aren't really about fitness at all, just appearance, and I want nothing to do with that, its actually disgusting to me.

Really, all I want to do is continue to grow my counselling practice, my business, stay as healthy and fit as possible for life, and raise two healthy, happy children.  I also want to, hopefully, retire comfortably with my wonderful husband and have grandchildren.  That's it! 

Is that enough? I don't know.  Maybe I need to set some more goals.  Publish a book?  Write an article for the New York Times? Be on television?  Bench press 150 lbs? Create a fitness DVD?  Teach a course? These are more like life goals than bucket list items though.

For now, I am going to set the goal of spending the summer figuring out my goals and whether there really are some other things I need (or want) to start working towards. Yep, my goal is to figure out my goals, ha!

This weekend isn't going to be much of one. I am going into the clinic to see clients both Saturday and Sunday, but at least I love my work, and I'll have the afternoons with the family and hopefully the weather will cooperate.  Have a healthy, happy and safe one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste