Skip to main content

You are Not Lazy!


Most people (except my husband who is super-human) avoid certain activities because, they tell themselves and others, they are lazy.

What does it mean to be lazy? Laziness, according to Wikipedia is:

...a disinclination to activity or exertion despite having the ability to do so. It is often used as a pejorative; related terms for a person seen to be lazy include couch potato, slacker, and bludger.



There is no doubt that laziness has negative connotations that are deeply ingrained in our culture.  It is, after all, one of the 7 deadly sins according to the Catholic tradition.  And in our competitive, capitalist society, we are obsessed with 'doing' as opposed to just 'being'. Most of us feel guilt if we are not constantly busy and being productive.

In any case, I often find with my clients that they attribute their refusal to adopt healthy living habits, such as exercise or cooking meals, to laziness, which they seem to assume is a stable personality trait.  Unfortunately, this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy in that they have convinced themselves they are unable to change and therefore don't.

Self-criticism is never an effective way to motivate yourself to make positive change.  Positive change can only happen with a positive mindset.  If you do not believe you can achieve something than this is most likely true.  So I think we need to stop telling ourselves we are lazy, not only because it is self-destructive, but because most of the time it isn't true.

My own experience recently illustrates why this is the case.  I used to ride my bike everywhere all the time whenever possible.  Basically only significant amounts of snow and ice would stop me.  But over the past several years I have been relying more and more on other less active modes of transportation like driving or taking the subway or bus.  I started getting really down on myself, accusing myself of becoming lazy.  "Why am I not motivated to ride my bike as much as I used to?" I kept asking myself, "What's wrong with me, I have become so lazy."  But laziness didn't make sense.  I am still very active and fit, I still love exercising and moving my body every day, so based on the strict definition of laziness, this wasn't true.  So what was really going on?  After thinking about it, I realized the reasons I don't bicycle as much as I used to are:
  • I am increasingly fearful about my safety due to the dangers riding in this busy city;
  • I have less tolerance for the extreme cold in winter and extreme heat in summer;
  • I am sick of destroying my bicycles by riding them in bad weather;
  • Riding in this city is getting more and more unpleasant due to the aggressive drivers;
  • The condition of many of the streets are so bad it is annoying (I am jostled so much by all the potholes I feel like I am going to cough up and ovary one day!);
  • I actually enjoy being able to read a book and/or eat a snack on my commute via subway/bus, which I can't do while riding;
Really, its not laziness at all, but specific - and I would say valid - factors about riding that have made me simply enjoy it less.

Lack of enjoyment is generally behind people's refusal to adopt healthy habits too.  But most of these can be overcome!  For example, I know a woman who detests sweating, yet she is extremely fit.  She goes for a rigorous swim at the JCC every day and, now in her 60s, is fitter than most 20 year olds.  There are so many types of exercise, there is going to have to be one you enjoy!  Likewise, if you think you don't like vegetables, you just haven't tried them prepared in a way you enjoy them yet.  With so many veggies and so many methods of preparation and recipes out there, its impossible to hate them all!  Cooking too, can be organized in a way that minimizes the stuff you dislike.  Hate cutting? Nowadays fruits, veggies and herbs all come precut.  Batch cooking can help you cook once while making food for multiple meals.

Before you berate yourself for being lazy, think about what it is you are avoiding doing and spend some time really thinking about why.  I'll bet its not because you are lazy but because it is simply something you don't enjoy.  And, hey, that's natural, after all, we are hedonistic creatures!  So do some problem solving and come up with ways to make the activity more enjoyable for you.

As for me, I think I am going to at least invest in a basket, and panniers so I don't have to lug a heavy back pack while riding, and a water bottle holder so I can have a cold drink for my rides in hot weather.  That will help overcome some of the things holding me back, but you know, I think I am done with winter riding.  Its just too unpleasant and too dangerous.  And I've made peace with that.  Its not laziness. Its wisdom!

Okay, I'm off to work now...on my bike!  Have a lovely, healthy, active weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste