Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles: Product Review

As you know, I am a huge fan of shirataki noodles.  In fact, it was my discovery of shirataki noodles that led to my discovery of the konjac plant, and all the other things you can do with the flour make from it, which led me to start my new business!

That being said, I almost exclusively eat the Asian style ones made only from konjac flour, and rarely eat the Italian/American style ones made with tofu.  I just haven't had great luck with them, partly because I have yet to create a recipe that I really love.  Nevertheless, when I was offered samples of House Foods' version, I decided to give them a shot.

Not only was I quite impressed with them, I came up with a pretty awesome recipe that may just get added into the regular rotation!

So, if you haven't tried shirataki noodles yet, here is why you should:

  • Compared with regular grain or starch noodles, they are significantly lower in calories and carbs (and calorie and carb-free if you go with the konjac flour only kind!);
  • Shirataki noodles are quick to prepare;
  • Shirataki noodles are grain-free, gluten-free and vegan.
My advice, however, is do not treat them just like regular noodles.  They are not porous, so they don't absorb liquid.  Therefore, it is very easy to end up with a watery sauce that does not stick to your noodles.  That's where a little konjac powder added right into your sauce can turn your shirataki noodle recipe from meh to magnificent.

House Foods now also sells konjac only traditional style shirataki noodles, as well as Smart Noodle, which are fortified with omega-3 and fibre.

If you are trying to cut calorie and/or carbs, eliminate gluten, or just trying to improve your health, definitely give these noodles a try!

Disclosure: I received the noodles at no charge, but all opinions on this blog are my own.