Skip to main content

Trend Trash Talking

I must be officially old because most popular culture these days puzzles and/or annoys me.  I don't mean to offend anyone, but hey, this is my blog so I can express my opinions...

First off, hip hop style.  WTF is up with dudes wearing their pants so low their butts hang out?

I've asked around and no women I know find this even remotely attractive.  Just plain weird and ridiculous!

The same guys wearing their pant waists around their knees also tend to sport large baseball caps.  Sorry, but unless you are playing baseball or doing any other form of exercise, you should lose the cap!

Honey Qiulin Street trend HIPHOP Cap shirt and guard clothing men loose hip hop Street Dance baggy hat shirt Thumbnail
 
Whether the cap is on frontwards, backwards or sideways...just no!
 

Hipsters. My antipathy here is more geared at guys again...hmm, interesting.

hipster

Sorry if you're one of them but man, do they annoy me!  Part of it is I despise beards on men.  All facial hair really.  Scruff can be sexy but any more is just not my cup of tea.  Fortunately, Adam doesn't like having facial hair so he stays clean shaven.  But he's also pointed out to me that my father has always had a beard (since I was 2 years old) and my brother also frequently sports one (his whole adult life), so maybe there is some underlying Freudian thing going on here, who knows.
 
I am sorry, but to me, even the handsomest guy looks idiotic with facial hair.  Although I think what annoys me so much is that it is so ubiquitous now.  Its like every freakin' guy in Toronto (and perhaps elsewhere?) has to have a beard.  Can't anyone be an individual??
 
hipster
 
I generally dislike it when people attempt to conform to some 'type', regardless of what it is.  Did I do this in my 20s? I don't think so.  I don't even think I did it as a kid.  Sure, there were jocks, goths, smoking door folks, and nerds around, but I didn't fit into any of those categories and neither did most people.  I have been trying to think of any trends that I embraced whole heartedly, but honestly I can't come up with any.  I guess around 1992-93 I started wearing the current trend of long, flowery dresses with army combat boots.  My parents made fun of me non-stop but it really was what a lot of folks were wearing and I really liked it.  Looking back, it was really ridiculous.  Going back even further to the late 80s, I did go through a phase of wearing coloured mascara (green, blue, etc.), which did make a comeback recently!  Around the same time, it was cool to have super tapered jeans and I remember me and my friends sewing and safety pinning the bottom of our pants so tight we could barely get them on and off our feel...skinny jeans anyone??  Only difference was we left them super baggy around the hips.  No, I'm definitely not innocent of adopting a few nutty fashion trends, but I never embraced a whole style persona.  While wearing coloured mascara, I wasn't listening to 80s pop music, but instead was obsessed with classic rock of the 70s and early 80s like the Doors, Rolling Stones, Police, David Bowie, etc.  And I wasn't listening to much grunge in the early 90s nor sporting any plaid, flannel shirts.

I have to tell you, this hipster thing seems to be staying around a long time though...I am really looking forward to it ending, although I fear what the next trend might be.  I only hope that it doesn't create as homogeneity as we have right now.  Do we all have to be the same?  Can't we celebrate our individuality?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste