Skip to main content

Bust Out of Your Fitness Rut with the Asylum Workout Program



I have been meaning to review the Asylum Workout program I got for my birthday this past year, but since right around the same time I switched to doing a less cardio/more strength based routine, I didn't get around to trying them all until now.  I've been squeezing one in for the last few weeks on Saturdays, which is my DVD day.

The set includes:

  • Athletic Performance Assessment
  • Speed & Agility
  • Vertical Plyo & Relief
  • Strength
  • Game Day & Overtime
  • Back To Core

  • Okay, this program is definitely more intense than Insanity, and likely one of the toughest fitness DVD workouts out there.  I do not recommend trying it if you have a serious musculoskeletal injury or vulnerability, or are not already highly conditioned.  That being said, some of it is adaptable but even if you choose the easiest variations, they certainly are not easy.  There is lots and lots of jumping (plyometrics, skipping, etc) so if that's not for you, than this system is definitely not for you.

    So the reviews I read before I bought it said it requires more space than Insanity because of the ladder and skip rope.  I wasn't too concerned because when I move our arm chair out of the rec room where our TV is, there is sufficient space for me to do most things.  Unfortunately, it isn't quite big enough to make this program easy for me.  I can't skip with the ladder on the floor or it gets caught in it, so I have to fling the ladder onto the couch until I need it again.  This means I am always falling behind in the workout because I have to set up the ladder and then get rid of it between each exercise transition.  Also, even though we have a chin up bar (Shaun T gives you options if you don't), the door frame we can use it on is on the other side of the basement where you can't see the TV, so it doesn't really work for me.  The other problem I have is that - being pretty uncoordinated, I have trouble doing some of the moves.  I have come to love skipping, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot do a split squat with a skip rope.  Of course, than I get really frustrated and angry and don't enjoy the workout.  If you have done a lot of team/organized sports and are already familiar with a lot of these training drills, than you'll be fine.  It's not like it's complicated dance routines or anything.

    My favorite workout is the Vertical Plyo followed by Speed and Agility.  I found the Game Day/Overtime workout frustrating (I am too uncoordinated for a number of the drills).  Relief is a pretty vanilla stretch routine which is good if you hate yoga and just want straight up stretches to restore length to your muscles.   Back to Core is a pretty good workout focusing mostly on back (not much abs), and Strength is a good routine, but not one I'll use as I prefer to do my own strength training.

    Overall, it is pretty killer.  If you are already really fit and looking to kick it up a notch, you will probably love this.  I do recommend you make sure you have enough space for all the equipment, so you aren't constantly rearranging things between drills, like I have to do.

    Oh, and Shaun T is still doing static stretching at the beginning of his workouts.  Will someone please tell Beach Body this is contraindicated??  I guess the upside is these stretch segments are about half the length (3 minutes) of the ones in Insanity.

    I think I will probably continue to use my favorite ones now and again to mix it up in my own routine.  The more variety I throw into my workouts the happier I am.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

    I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

    Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

    Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

    How to Look Like a Celebrity

    Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste