Skip to main content

Find Me an Exorcist!

The past few weeks have been really tough with the girls. Big A hasn't had a huge tantrum in over a week, so hopefully whatever little phase she was going through has passed. But she is really copping an attitude lately. She ignores me on a regular basis, which is infuriating and disconcerting. When she began playing with the universal machine in our home gym last week, I warned her to stop because she was going to either break something or hurt herself. She didn't listen and jammed the weight stack, which ended up stretching the cable. Now Adam and I have to pay to have someone come and fix it.

Big A also talks back. If I say, "Please brush your teeth so we can leave for school," she will come back with something like, "The only way I am going to brush my teeth is if I get 10 more minutes to play first!"

Little A has become, well...a really terrible two! She has been melting down over every tiny thing, no matter how irrational or absurd.

For example, the other day at breakfast she was eating red grapes. When she asked for more, I asked her if she wanted red or green. She said, "pink." Since she was smiling, I assumed she was just joking, which she does a lot. But when I returned with another bowl of red grapes, she pushed them away and started screaming that she wanted pink grapes. Trying to explain that there is no such thing did little to help.

She also refuses to take turns with Big A. In order to try and curb fights between them, we make rules that they alternate taking turns on coveted activities (pushing the button at cross-walks, getting out of the bath first, holding the snack bag, etc.), but Little A will go bananas if she doesn't get her way EVERY TIME.

Her daycare teachers, who swear she is a perfect angel all day, have suggested she is still adjusting to the transition from her old daycare. This may be true. She has been asking to go back to her old daycare and I think she is starting to really miss her two best friends there.

Little A does occasionally show glimmers of her old sweet and funny self. Yesterday she made me chase her around the house in order to get her undressed and into the bath. Her favorite trick is to stick her little bum over the drain in the tub while I am trying to drain it so that the water can't go down. She thinks this is hilarious. And she continues to be the dirtiest, messiest child on the planet. She LOVES rain and refuses to let me cover her in the stroller or put on her rain jacket or boots in wet weather. Instead she adores getting soaked and jumping into mud puddles. She also continues to show no interest in toilet training and, in fact, when we were at a playdate at my girlfriend's house a few days ago, she would not even stop playing and allow us to change her diaper after she'd pooped.

If I didn't talk to my friends and know that they are not the only ones dealing with this kind of stuff, I would think I needed another parenting intervention (perhaps an exorcist this time?). But for now, I've decided to let things ride for a bit and see what happens. I know transitions are difficult for kids and the girls are going through some big ones with the start of the school year. Hopefully by Christmas they will have adjusted??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste