Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hey Sweet Thang, Better Cut Back on the White Stuff

So after all my angst recently about my sodium consumption, I am now feeling somewhat more virtuous. There is an interview in the Toronto Star today with former science writer David Stipp who just wrote a new book called "The Youth Pill". His research has led him to conclude that sugar, even more than salt wreaks havoc on our health. He says:

"If you look at the data on aging, one thing comes through loud and clear - slow aging goes with low blood glucose and low insulin and those things tend to go up when you've got a lot of sugar in your diet."

My diet is pretty low in sugar and I eat mostly low GI (glycemic index) foods.

Sneaky places where sugar lurks are breads, bottled sauces, salad dressings and flavoured yogurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment