Skip to main content

I'm 35 and what am I? Besides a mom...

Well, I've started this blog because I feel like I'm at quite a crossroads in my life, and while this feels somewhat narcissistic, my husband thought it would be therapeutic for me. I'm 35, and I'm exactly where I'd hoped to be personally (wonderful, loving husband, 2 adorable daughters, great friends and family and a cosy house) and very far from where I'd hoped to be professionally, at this age.

I guess that's not so unusual these days, but it feels pretty pathetic seeing as I already have a BA, MA, and PhD under my belt, and after still accomplishing nothing, career-wise, I have returned to school yet again - this time, to pursue a Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology, so I can eventually begin a psychotherapy practice. My previous jobs have all been in research. Most recently, I was associate vice president of a market research company, leading the health research practice. Sounds impressive, but really was just a nothing, middle-management position.

What's even more pathetic is that I worked for this company after my MA (sociology)and was so miserable, made the decision to return for my PhD to try and escape the industry and open up other options. But after I completed my PhD, I worked at the university for a year and then left to have my first child. While on mat leave, I discovered that I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do and there was not really a high demand for PhDs in Exercise Science. I needed an income to pay for child care (one thing I DID know was that I didn't want to be a stay-at-home mom...that job is way too hard!) and employment so I could get another maternity leave with my next (and last) child. So I went back to the same company in the same industry I was in BEFORE I did my PhD. Hmm, all that time and effort spent on a doctoral degree...for what reason?? Once again, I found myself utterly miserable and realized I had to make a change because there was no way I could spend the next 30 years of my life hating my professional life.

I had originally wanted to go into counselling, but got sidetracked by life. After having a miscarriage before my first daughter was conceived, I became aware of the lack of resources and support for women in the community who experience this traumatic event. This inspired my new career aspirations. I want to counsel women who experience miscarriage loss and/or infertility. This blog will document my journey to, finally, for the first time in my life, pursue a career that I am passionate about while trying to survive parenthood of two young children. I am sure there are a lot of you out there who can relate...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste