Skip to main content

Cirque du Soleil


Its not often we can find some form of entertainment for the whole family to enjoy. The girls do not share the same musical tastes as Adam and I, who also don't always have the same taste in music. Moreover, I hate going to see live music period. Adam is the trooper who will accompany the kids to see their favorite performers.

When it comes to movies, the girls rule the roost in this house. Adam and could probably count the adult movies we have seen since becoming parents on one hand. We generally only go to movie theaters so the kids can see something they want to see. Fortunately, kids movies/animations can occasionally be enjoyable for adults too these days.

I am not much of a live theater fan, in general, but, again, if I am going, its typically because we are going to a show the kids want to see.

I have less than zero interest going to see sporting events, so again, that is something Adam does with the girls. I have also taped out when it comes to the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) and any other even involving rides, crowds and line ups.  Add horrendous traffic and the expense of parking in Toronto and you have a mom no longer in really going to any attraction in this city. I know understand why my parents love living in the smaller city where I grew up!

We used to take the girls to farms outside the city for their holiday special events on Thanksgiving, Easter, etc., or to pick fresh fruits and veggies, but I think we've all grown tired of that at this point.

One thing I have always wanted to do, is see Cirque du Soleil. I suspected the girls would enjoy it too since they are very involved in gymnastics, dance, and both attend circus camp in the summers. They were enthusiastic when I suggested it, so Adam and I bought us tickets for the next show coming to Toronto, called Corteo.

We attended a matinee performance this past weekend and I am happy to say it was a success. Or relatively so, in terms of finding some form of entertainment we can all enjoy.

Usually getting anywhere in this city if is a nightmare, and parking even worse, but this went all relatively smoothly - albeit expensively as parking for 3 hours cost $30 - near the Scotia Bank Arena, where it was held.

The reviews for Corteo were mediocre, with most of the criticism being the weakness of the story. Frankly, I didn't even expect a story, I was just there for the acrobatics, and in that regard, at least for me, it didn't disappoint.

I was surprised by how nervous I got for the performers doing such dangerous stunts. I had to cover my eyes a few times, worried they would fall. Little A kept patting my hand and reassuring me, "Momma, they practice a lot, they'll be okay."

It was about 2 hours with a 20 minute intermission. The intermission was when Little A started whining that she was bored. But I suspect she was actually grumpy because we refused to buy her food to eat since the prices were absolutely outrageous ($5 just for a bottle of water, and $8 for a small bag of chips!). But we'd already promised to buy the girls dinner on the way home so we didn't have much time for her complaining.

While Corteo may not be the best Cirque production (I have nothing to compare it to), I did find it entertaining and it has no live animals which makes it suitable for those concerned with animal rights in circuses. The Cirque travels around the world so if you think your kids would enjoy it, I definitely recommend you check it out. That being said, now that we've done it once, none of us feel the need to see it again. One and done.

Happy holidays, I'll be back in January 2019.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste