I am going to admit upfront that we (mostly me) are food hoarders. The photo above is NOT our pantry. Ours doesn't look photo worth. We like to be well stocked with our staples, and when we find our favorites on sale, we stock up big time. We also have a Costco membership, and, well, you know how that goes!
If you want to make it easy to be able to make quick, healthy meals at anytime, here are some things to make sure you have on hand (and these are the things you will find in our pantry...and massive storage room):
- Canned beans and lentils and dried beans/lentils
- Canned tuna, salmon and/or sardines
- Soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and other condiments
- Dried herbs and spices (buy in small quantities as they lose their flavour quickly, unless you use them a lot)
- Dried pasta, rice, oats, quinoa and/or other grains
- Jarred salsa and pasta sauce
- Nut butters
- Whole grain flours, cocoa powder, sweeteners (coconut sugar, xylitol, stevia, etc.), and other baking ingredients
- Vinegar (white, cider, red wine, white wine, rice, etc.)
- Oils (avocado, olive, toasted sesame, etc.)
- Dried fruit, nuts, seeds
The great thing about stocking your pantry is that the items are non-perishable, so you don't have to be planning to use them immediately. It also means you will be well fed at least for some period of time, if there is an apocalypse.