Skip to main content

Perimenopause


[This post is about women's reproductive systems. If it makes you uncomfortable, get a life. You wouldn't have a life without it whether you are a man or woman!]

As embarrassing as this is to admit, I didn't really understand human fertility until I was 30 and Adam and I decided we were ready to have children. But I know I am not alone. Many of my infertility clients admit the same.

Most of us grow up thinking if you EVER have unprotected sex, you will get pregnant. But the truth is, there are only about 2-3 fertile days every month!

Similarly, I never understood the menopause process until I hit 40 and entered into perimenopause. I thought you just go from having your usual menstrual cycle to missing periods, to complete absence of periods, and that this would all happen around age 50. HA!

Man, we women have it rough. It is so much longer a process, and far less pleasant!!

The first shock for me was that instead of periods just getting lighter until they disappear, it is often the opposite. I always had long, irregular cycles, about 40-50 days. Now, they are 28-32 days, and very very heavy. Ugh! Also, more cramping. As I write this, my poor ovaries are aching and the Advil is calling my name. Not only that, but I now get ovulation pain midway through each cycle. I NEVER had that before kids. Its infuriating as having shorter, more predictable cycles, and being able to feel myself ovulate would certainly have been helpful when I was trying to conceive. Now its just unpleasant.

Oh, and I can't forget about the acne I get regularly, that I never had during my teens. Lovely. This month I also had like 5 days of breast tenderness, which is a symptom I never experienced when I was younger. Workouts this week have had to avoid jumping because...ouch!

Despite all my complaints, I know I've gotten off relatively easy. One friend of mine just had a partial hysterectomy because of all the problems she was having. Another was put on birth control to manage her extreme suffering, and from the meds she developed blood clots in her lungs and ended up in the hospital. Holy crap!

Even more awesome is the fact that this can all go on a good 10 years before women actually hit menopause (defined by a complete absence of menses for a year). Once that happens, there are a whole other set of potential unpleasant symptoms.


I have little sympathy for any man who complains about getting a vasectomy.


The best way to manage perimenopausal symptoms are the following:


  • Exercise regularly (it helps regulate hormones and manage anxiety and elevate mood)
  • Maintain a healthy weight (excess fat tissue increases estrogen)
  • If you are noticing your body temperature increase or are starting to get hot flashes, dress in layers, and sleep in a cool environment
  • Get enough sleep (insufficient sleep affects mood, depletes resilience to stress, leads to weight gain, and messes up hormones)
Well, there is never a good time for one's period, but given how busy our weekend is, its definitely a bad time. My parents are coming tomorrow to stay with us, I have to work tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. The girls have 500 activities, birthday parties, etc. and I have a party for some friends...but I am doubting with everything else I will even be able to drop by. There will be absolutely no time to just lie on the couch with a hot water bottle!

The one thing I will be doing is getting out for a run, something I rarely ever do. Since my parents will be here, though Adam will be out at the gym early tomorrow morning, I can leave the house and enjoy some exercise in the nice weather. I hope you get out and have a happy, healthy weekend too! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste