Skip to main content

Squash Boom Beet: Book Review


My kids don't eat at all the way I would like them to, and this has been the case since each of them reached the age of 1 or so. Up until then it was breastmilk only to 6 months, and then only organic fruits, veggies, oats, rice, eggs and meat, Once too old for 'baby' food (or exposed to other foods at daycare) it became a total shit show. Its pretty tough to control given that we live in such a toxic food environment. Their real food, salt, sugar and refined grain-free diet went right out the window.

I do manage to get a good amount of nutrition in them with all my healthy baking recipes, but they have a long way to go in the savoury food department. Big A could live on carbs and sugar, and getting protein into her is a major challenge.  Little A falls short in the vegetable area. But both of them like many different fruits, at least, and they have no problem with the fact that I only allow whole grains and grain products in the house, and cook and bake with alternatives to sugar (like stevia, etc.).

What is most frustrating, however, is how stubborn and non-adventurous they are with food. Getting them to try new things is like pulling teeth.

I am sure if you are a parent, this is all familiar to you (though if it isn't and your precious, perfect child eats nothing but kale, chickpeas and blueberries, you can go take a hike, 'cause you and I can't be friends!).

Always hoping for a breakthrough with the kids in the nutrition department, I was happy to accept a review copy of Squash Boom Beet, written by nutrition journalist, Lisa Maxbauer Price.

It is a beautiful book full of gorgeous photos, which goes from A to Z naming fruits and veggies and cute rhyming little descriptors of each.

The produce she chooses for each letter are sometimes unexpected (e.g. dinosaur kale and dragon tongue beans for D), but I like that its getting kids familiar with fruit and veggie varieties that go beyond what they already know.

I was hoping Little A would read it, but she declared it a book for babies, because of the A to Z thing. Nevermind that she would actually be quite challenged by many of the words, but the kid is stubborn, so I had to review the book all by myself.

Nevertheless, I think it is a great educational book, and I intend to give it to the teachers at Little A's daycare for circle time. I know they are going to love it, and, frankly, I think these types of things work best in that type of setting because peer pressure can be a good thing when it comes to food (the kids will eat all sorts of things outside the house, that they wouldn't touch if I served it to them!).

For parents this book may be helpful depending on your kids, but I think overall, its probably best used as a resource for teachers.

Disclosure: I was sent this book to review, but all opinions on this blog are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste