Skip to main content

The Harvest Holiday


We are currently in my favorite season: fall, autumn, the harvest...whatever you want to call it, I adore it! The foods (apples, squash, all root veggies...), the sights (leaves changing colours), the smells, and sounds.

We always celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving in our home. Though my family is from the U.S., they quickly adopted the Canadian holiday, which takes place in the midst of this heavenly (and short) season here, rather than at the end of November as they do down south. It certainly seems to make more sense to celebrate the harvest during the harvest, not after it!

When Adam and I travelled to Chicago back in 2008, we did so over the American Thanksgiving weekend. What a mistake! Not only was the travel a nightmare (hello 5 hour delay in O'Hare!), but the weather was awful and there was a major snowstorm that shut down the city and the airport. That was not fun, nor was Chicago an attractive place that time of year!!

Despite my love of Thanksgiving, Adam and I haven't really celebrated it. You see, Adam's family never celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving. What? Unbeknownst to me, a lot of Canadian Jews think of it as a Christian holiday. This is very different from the U.S., where it is recognized as a non-denominational holiday. For a while I really missed it, and even a number of years ago did a traditional dinner here, when my parents were visiting, with a big turkey and the whole kit and caboodle. But more recently I realized I lost my taste for the whole traditional meal. Why? I have no idea!

It just so happens that this year my parents are visiting again, and we now have our lovely renovated house to show off, so I decided it was time to host another dinner. But this time, I decided to break tradition and do something a little different.

You may recall that we've decided to discontinue hosting our New Year's Day party. This is mostly because I have come to hate formal hosting. I just find it too stressful. So for this occasion, it being only close family anyways (my parents and my brother and his family), I decided to keep it simple so I can enjoy myself. Here is the plan:

Kids - Ordering pizza for them and turning on the Wii. Dessert is ice cream and fruit [Ultimate goal is to minimize whining and keep them all out of our hair as much as possible].

Adults - Thanksgiving chili (made with ground turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberries and other goodies), salad, peach-jalapeno cornbread muffins, and pumpkin spice cheesecake and fruit compote for dessert.

The weather is supposed to be my favorite: sunny and mild (~16 Celsius). So I am hoping maybe Monday afternoon, we can get the girls outside maybe to one of the local farms or conservation areas.

Whether you are celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving or not, have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste