Skip to main content

Cross Fire Fitness DVD Review


 
Okay, drumroll please...and the winner of the workout DVDs that finally manage to kick my butt are:

Cathe Friedrich!!

I will answer to questions you probably have before I share the details.  First, the reason why I don't just put myself through my own self-designed workout every day (since I've been a fitness instructor for 24 years) is that at 5am, I don't want to do that much work.  Also, after I do my cardio or self-defence workouts, I do my weights, which is me training me always. So my brain has to be on for all of that.  Second, many folks have suggested various Beach Body programs.  The problem is, these programs are intended to be complete workout programs, but I am just looking for one specific thing.  I don't want weight training - I do that on my own - and I don't want yoga/stretching - I do Essentrics for that. Furthermore, the programs I have (Insanity, Asylum, etc.), I barely use because they aren't my favorites.

So finally I just asked myself what it is that actually does the best job of kicking my ass.  The answer: Plyo and HIIT training.  A Google search led me to Cathe.  Imagine how surprised I was to find this woman and her extensive fitness empire.  In all my years in the fitness industry I had never heard of her.  Never seen her nor her products at a fitness conference nor read about her anywhere.  Weird!  I decided she was worth a try and ordered several of her DVDs.  She also orders On Demand and streaming services too!

Today I will review Cross Fire:



The first thing I noticed that is unique about this workout is there is real music playing, well, remakes of pop songs.  Most fitness DVDs just have rather generic instrumental music, but this music has words.  Some people won't like that but others will appreciate it.  I like that there is a Canadian song in it (Hello, by Dragonette!).

Cathe's got a no-nonsense teaching style.  There isn't a lot of detailed instruction nor many variations because its obviously geared at advanced level participants.  Its Tabata (a particular type of HIIT training) and lots of Plyo.  If you can't do high impact stuff, this workout isn't for you (although there is a very short bonus low impact Tabata workout at the end). She has no attitude and doesn't trash talk the other participants nor is she at all condescending.  When I looked her up, I couldn't believe she's over 50.  She's in tremendous shape and looks much younger!

This workout does require quite a bit of equipment, including weights, gliding disks, a leg band and mat, but all these things are worthwhile investments if you workout at home.  Also, you can do without the mat if necessary, and just use paper plates for the disks.

I love this workout, its 55 minutes total, including the stretch, but then has a 9 minute core training bonus section, which is really good, and then the very short (4 min, 40 sec) low impact Tabata routine.  This workout definitely kicks my butt but is fun too. I definitely recommend this DVD if you want a great, tough workout to take your fitness to the next level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste