Skip to main content

Nerium Age-Defying Night Cream: Product Review

Product1
In most ways I think I am aging pretty well. I am as fit as I've ever been, energetic, and, as far as I know, healthy.  My contact lens/glasses prescription hasn't changed, and my hearing has also stayed constant (although Adam has always complained that I set the television too loud).  Not a single grey hair yet too.  But I would certainly love to lose the wrinkles between my eye brows.  If I had to guess, they are from, more than anything, the fact that I scrunch up my face a lot, whether its from exertion while working out, or because I am focusing on something or wrapped up in the intense thoughts that are always running through my head.  And then there are the wild dreams I have every single night which often have me perplexed even during the dream.  Seriously, my unconscious mind is messed up!

Preventing wrinkles, as far as they are preventable, is possible by:

  • Avoiding sun damage/wearing SPF
  • Not smoking
  • Not drinking excessively
  • Eating a healthy, whole foods diet
  • Exercising (yes, seriously!)
  • Sleeping well/managing stress
But once you got em, what's the best way to get rid of them?  I have no idea.  Sorry! 

There are a million claims made by different cosmetic companies about various ingredients, and a ton of supplements, etc. promoted by health gurus.  But I've also read a whole lot of scientists who say almost all of this is bullshit.

That being said, I am not one to give up the opportunity to try a new product even if it 'might' help, as long as its not harmful.  So I was thrilled to receive Nerium's Age-Defying Night Cream to try.

I can't really say whether or not it works because I have only used it for a couple weeks and I am a sample of 1.  But it didn't give me any reaction, and given how sensitive my skin is, that's a very good thing.  It has no scent at all and is not at all greasy or heavy. 

What I will review instead, is the evidence behind its ingredients.

Apparently the product was created with the help of a biochemist from Princeton.  Sounds impressive.

One major ingredient is aloe vera leaf.  I found some studies that said it can help skin retain moisture, but nothing beyond that.

There is also Sig-1273 a 'specially patented ant-aging molecule.' I found no published research studies on this nor any details about what it actually is.  Just this Newswire article that announces its introduction into the market.  Same with SAL-14 the other proprietary ingredient. But at least they explain it a wee bit more as, "...a synergistic combination of various botanicals, including Bidens Pilosa, which is organically harvested in Brazil." Uh huh.

Centella Asiatica is a plant that is purported to have therapeutic benefits like helping to heal scars and burns.

Adenosine? I found nothing on anti-aging skin properties. 

Licorice root? Often used to reduce hyperpigmentation, or to lighten skin, but very little evidence it is actually effective.

Vitamin C? Sure, its an antioxidant often used in skin products.

Sodium hyaluronate has been used to treat radiation recall dermatitis...which is apparently a common side effect of cancer treatment.  According to the Nerium company it hydrates the collagen in the skin.

CoQ10 works on mitochondria and can reduce oxidative stress, but I didn't find any studies specifically about improving the look of skin.

So what you ask? Why am I boring you with all this?

Well, while there may be some evidence that these compounds have therapeutic benefits of some kind, I don't think there is a lot that this will translate into making a person look younger, or reducing wrinkles.  Many scientists point out that if all the skin products on the market really did what they said, they would be 'medicines' not cosmetics, and would be available by prescription only.

So do I recommend it?  Well, if you are eager to spend $100 on face cream, go for it.  After all, I have super sensitive skin, and it didn't give me a reaction which is good.  But if that isn't in your budget, I suggest you just dab a bit of organic coconut oil on your face at night and you may just get the same result.

If you are concerned about the condition of your skin...I give you the same advice I started out with:

  • Avoiding sun damage/wearing SPF
  • Not smoking
  • Not drinking excessively
  • Eating a healthy, whole foods diet
  • Exercising (yes, seriously!)
  • Sleeping well/managing stress
If you already have wrinkles, like I do, well, I guess we may just have to accept them...or get botox!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste