Skip to main content

A Random Act of Kindness...for Me!

Blood Signal - Appel aux donneurs

Good Monday morning!  I hope all you father's had a nice Father's Day.

I apologize for the lack of post Friday.  It was a busy day and I somehow forgot that morning.  Later on when I realized I'd forgotten, I was side-tracked by a call from the daycare: Little A puked everywhere.  Ugh!  Needless to say, Adam and I had to quickly rearrange all our weekend plans.  The good news is - and I'm not kidding - it's like she puked out all of the whininess and grumpiness that has been practically a constant with her for the past few months.  Literally, from the time I picked her up from daycare on Friday, until the end of the weekend (aside from a few whiny episodes yesterday), she was the happy, sweet, funny, delightful child that I feel like she hasn't been in a very long time.

Anyways, I'll spare you the details of Little A's barfing episode and instead talk about blood.  Ha!

I've written many times about becoming a regular blood donor.  I think it is such an easy and important way to give back and help others in need.  Unfortunately, I may have to give it up.  I've been refused the past 3 tries, first because of my hemoglobin, when it was determined that I was anemic.  Now that I'm on iron pills that's been fixed, however, my low blood pressure has been the issue the last 2 times.  This is very frustrating since I have always had low blood pressure, plus it's pretty common to have low blood pressure when you are really fit.  I have had my blood pressure taken during medical exams several times over the past year, and no one has ever expressed concern.  Yesterday, however, the nurse at the blood donor clinic almost fainted when she took my blood pressure.  "Oh my, this is REALLY low!" she exclaimed.  "Are you feeling okay?  You're not dizzy? Tired?" I reassured her a million times that I felt just fine thank you.  But since the cut off is 90/55 and I was 77/45, she could not permit me to donate.  Sigh!  I know rules are rules, but it's annoying that I am trying to do something good for others and cannot.  At least I am on the bone marrow donor registry.  I am hoping that at some point I am a match for someone.

So, folks, I ask that if you can, please donate some blood for me!  It's easy, it's free AND they provide you with complimentary drinks and snacks afterwards (no healthy ones unfortunately...).

If you live in Canada, you can find your nearest blood donor clinic here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste