Skip to main content

Spa Contest and Weird Happenings


Who doesn't love a trip to the spa?  If I ever become a multi-millionaire, I think I'll build my own personal spa...or at least hire my own personal massage therapist and yoga instructor...who will also clean my house.

If you too love spas, then you'll love this: SpaFinder Wellness is giving away a Mother’s Day Spa package for two valued at $300 to treat a lucky reader and mom to a spa and wellness day. The contest closes on May 8, 2013.

You can enter here.

Spafinder has also offered me a $25 gift card to give away to one of my lucky readers.  Gift cards are redeemable at over 2,000 spas, yoga, Pilates and fitness studios in Canada (over 20,000 worldwide!).

To enter, please "Like" my professional Facebook page, and/or follow me on Twitter, then leave me a comment that you've done so. 

This contest is available to readers Internationally.

Boy, would I love a little spa getaway right now.  Adam just returned from 10 days in Washington, D.C., and even though this trip was half the length of his London trip, it actually felt longer.  Both girls have been really challenging lately.  Big A is obnoxious and giving me attitude like she's already a teenager, and Little A is still screaming whenever she doesn't get what she wants.  She too has started to develop an attitude.  She keeps telling me, "You are not the boss of my body."  And last week, when I wouldn't let her open ALL of my nail polishes, and, instead, said she could chose one colour, which I would apply to her nails, in order to minimize mess, she started having a hysterical meltdown and yelled at me, "This is not just your house, it's everybody's house, but we always have to do things your way, it's not fair!"  Add to all this the girls constant fighting and I've been tempted to sell them both to the circus.

So I've begun some zero tolerance policies:

- If Little A begins screaming, she has to go to her room until she stops (not a new rule, but now I'm enforcing it consistently). 
- If I have to ask either of them to do something more than once, they lose a privilege.
- When they start fighting, they have to work it out themselves, with no intervention from either Adam or myself, or go play in their rooms separately until they can get along.  This worked very well this morning to resolve a massive, screaming fight they were having with each other!

These rules seem to be helping to at least curb the behaviour after it starts, but it certainly hasn't helped stop it from starting yet.  But I suppose it takes time.  Parenting expert Alyson Schafer says when you start making changes like this, things often get much worse before they get better.

Overall it's been a tough spring and this seems to be something felt by a lot of people.  Most of my parent friends report similar difficulties with their kids, and everyone has been feeling totally down in the dumps because of the weather and what seems like mounting tragedies striking down innocent people around the world.  It almost seems surreal.  Last week we had a hail/snow storm in the middle of April, it was so bizarre.  And lately we can go from winter to summer like weather all in one day around here!  And then around the world horrific things keep happening.  People killed at the Boston Marathon?  Another child took her own life in the maritimes after being raped and then bullied?  Explosion in Texas?  The insane gun lobby in the U.S. won't back down, even after all the needless deaths and losses in Newton, Connecticut?  Of course, there are always tragedies happening all over the world, but these all seem so close to home.

I've decided my small random acts of kindness have not done enough to teach the girls about gratitude.  I am disgusted by all the "I wants..." I get from them, whether it's for me to make them food, and then for me to hurry up and make it faster, or they want dessert, or a material item.  A few weeks ago Big A said, "I want an Ipod Touch for my birthday."  I said, "You already have an Ipod." It's mine, actually, but I've let her appropriate it.  She said, "No, that's an Ipod Shuffle."  Little A then pipes up with, "Yeah mommy, she wants the one with the touch screen!"  Literally, my jaw dropped.  I am also sick of all their complaining: how far it is for them to walk to and from school (10 minutes), how unfair it is they have to make their bed, get themselves a glass of water instead of being waited on, etc., etc.  Give me a break!

So, I emailed one of the moms I know on the school's parent committee and asked what kind of initiative the school could take on that would drive home to the kids how fortunate they are, and what life is really like for others around the world (or even disadvantaged children here in Canada).  She loved the idea and said she's working on it.  I think my kids need a major wake up call.

After some warmer temperatures this week, we are back to cold, wet weather this weekend.  I am at least grateful to have Adam back home - I feel like a major weight has been lifted off my shoulders - and a fun weekend lined up.  Have a good one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste