Skip to main content

Pizza Puttanesca (Vegan Option)


Don't ask me what inspired me to make a pizza with anchovies!  Okay, since you asked: I had a tube of anchovy paste in the fridge and couldn't figure out what to do with it.  Why I decided on pizza, however, I don't know since the only time I ever had anchovies on pizza I found it as distasteful as the ex-boyfriend who suggested it.

But boy I'm glad I did.  This was AMAZING! If you don't like anchovies, don't worry, this pizza really doesn't taste fishy.  The proof is in the pudding.  Adam doesn't like fishy fish and he LOVED this pizza.  In fact, until he reads this, he has no idea that there were anchovies on it.  Believe me, the man gobbled this down at lightening speed and declared it amazing.

For plant eaters, I did a bit of research and discovered that you can sub umeboshi plum paste for anchovy paste to get that umame/salty quality.  Both are quite high in sodium, as are olives, so make sure you don't add any additional salt.

This makes enough for 2 large sized pizzas (when I make pizza, I make A LOT of pizza!), but you can use as much as you like and freeze the rest, or toss it with whole grain pasta.

Pizza Puttanesca

1 can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1 tsp dried oregano
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Crushed red chili flakes, to taste (optional)

300g box frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
3-4 tbls anchovy or umeboshi plum paste
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
Crushed red chili flakes, to taste (optional)
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh Italian parsley, chopped

300g low-fat mozzerella or vegan cheese alternative, grated

2-1 lb whole grain pizza doughs, rolled out to desired thinness

Stir together tomato paste with seasonings in a small sauce pan set over medium heat.  Turn to low and let simmer 4-5 minutes.  Turn off heat.

Saute spinach, olives, paste, garlic, vinegar, Italian seasoning and chili flakes over medium heat for about 5 minutes. 

Spread sauce over dough.  Sprinkle cheese evenly over sauce.  Spread topping mixture over the cheese and sprinkle pizzas with fresh herbs.  Bake on pizza stones, or in oven as desired (ours took about 22 minutes at 500F on regular baking sheets).  Leftovers (if there are any!) can be frozen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste